My 1998 PI cam swap.

OP
OP
C

Casper98gt

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. Sooner or later i'll get around to the intake portion.

Jeed sounds like you have alot going there. You will be happy with the results. Stage 2 cams would actually be a good upgrade. Even a nice set of stage ones will put you into a better hp range. But like you said at 550 nitrous is easily taken for that money..

Stevo....stage 2 cams wouldnt be much harder. All you would be doing then is applying air to each cylinder one by one and then installing new springs. Then you can slap in youre cams and WHAM. You have stage 2's.

ripper

Reaction score
Im good with a wrench and have common sense Casper but im no mechanic. But I would like to start doing some of my own work to my car. Its a weekend warrior so I can take my time. What do you think do it myself or send it out?

OP
OP
C

Casper98gt

Reaction score
Well i dont personally know you or youre skills. But with all the help online and such im sure if you like tinkering you could do it youreself. About a year about i had a younger kid call me a bunch of times because he tried to do a cam swap and it didnt turn out so well for him. He bought the Anderson Motorsports Cam changing tool which is very simalur to my tool that i used but mine is alot thicker and actually locks the tensioner so the chain doesnt move at all. Its so nice. So if youre lucky like others are the followers will just "slide" right out. Or some people use screwdrivers. I used the ford tool. Also you can buy the anderson motorsports cam changing tool. Just make sure you have someone else to help you. One person to make sure the timing chain doesnt move, and another to remove the camshaft. It didnt take me very long to do it. If you want alot of time and if you have never dipped into a mod motor before i would say 6 hrs.

I have inserted a pic of the cam tool i use from ford. and YES this is a special tool they suggest you use when replaceing cams.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the writeup Casper. It seems like you really know what you are doing and go about things the right way. Being pretty new to motors in general, why does the timing chain move and why can't you just put it back where it was to begin with?

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Willis_98GT said:
i want to do this so bad, but it just worries the shit out of me b/c i don't want to mess anything up... and god knows what a shop would charge for this. i mean it looks easy... but i don't know.
Same Here...........Welcome Casper, man you make that look easy as pie.

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
Casper, it looks like you put in Comp cams....did you put in comp cams or stock PI cams? if comp cams, which cams did you install?

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
ok to completely sound noobish...

all you basically have to do is use a "cam tool" basically a clamp to hold the timing chain down tight so it doesn't move foward or reverse and just slide the out cams out and put the new cams in like new. god i'm actually thinking of trying this if its that easy...

ck5.0

Reaction score
What a great write up man. Thanks a bunch. O0 O0 O0 O0

Wouldn't be willing to lend me your cam tool would you ;) ???

brwillms

Reaction score
Conroe huh? Not too much going on there. Great writeup. You make me feel like I might be able to tackle this.

OP
OP
C

Casper98gt

Reaction score
:banana: yeah its not so bad.

So answer the questions about the timing. What you basically have is 2 cam gears and a crank gear. You have 2 chains, 2 tensioners, and 4 guides. Im sure everyone knows what it looks like if not i'll put in a pic.

Youre timing chain tensioners are putting tension on the chains at all times. When you remove the camshaft the tension is gone and they will slip off the crank gear. So by me wedging the tensioner the chain stays taught at the crank and allows me to remove the cam gear with the chain still on it so that it doesnt move and mess up timing. When you put in the wedge the chain doesnt move, if you dont use the wedge and just hold up the chain the tensioner moves outward making it very hard to put back on. So thats why i suggest using the wedge. BUT you can use just a hand to hold the chain on the gear....but you will have a real hard time putting the cam back in. It will kinda go in an an angle.

I thought about lending out my wedge tool but i havent met anyone on any forums that i thought would ship it back to me. MustangMatt96gt is a cool kid, very polite as well. I had him call me when he had questions about his intake swap. I would let him borrow it. Its a very light piece of equipment so shipping wouldnt be very much.

But from ford its a 100.00 tool. So if any of you decided you need it more than i do and dont ship it back i would be pissed. But im not against lending it out as long as you shipped back a 10.00 bill or a money order for 10 bucks. Just to cover shipping back and fourth. I would probably even ship out the cam follower tool as well so you have all the tools to do it right.

br, you live in conroe or near by ? My best friend is now a cop there. Good guy.

MustangMatt that would be cool if you posted it up. Just do like i did and copy and paste everything. right click on the pics and get the URL and then put it in an image code format and you'll be all set.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Yeah and at the end of the intake swap I will post my pictures of how much silicon you recommend! And thanks for the nice words!

OP
OP
C

Casper98gt

Reaction score
No problem buddy.

And 68....those are just the boxes i got the PI's shipped to me in. If i went with a cam like Comp or any other. I would have done a write up on degree'ing a cam. Even when i found the PI cam card, and degree'd a set. they were off slightly so when you degree even the PI cams in a NPI swap you will gain extra power. thats why when you see somepeople getting mid 25rwhp from a PI cam swap and others only getting 15-18rwhp. You can gain alot from just degree'ing the cam. But it takes a while and you need some tools. Alot of people dont do it and dont gain all they can gain from a cam swap....especially a aftermarket cam.

svtboy

Reaction score
Casper98gt said:
Well i dont personally know you or youre skills. But with all the help online and such im sure if you like tinkering you could do it youreself. About a year about i had a younger kid call me a bunch of times because he tried to do a cam swap and it didnt turn out so well for him. He bought the Anderson Motorsports Cam changing tool which is very simalur to my tool that i used but mine is alot thicker and actually locks the tensioner so the chain doesnt move at all. Its so nice. So if youre lucky like others are the followers will just "slide" right out. Or some people use screwdrivers. I used the ford tool. Also you can buy the anderson motorsports cam changing tool. Just make sure you have someone else to help you. One person to make sure the timing chain doesnt move, and another to remove the camshaft. It didnt take me very long to do it. If you want alot of time and if you have never dipped into a mod motor before i would say 6 hrs.

I have inserted a pic of the cam tool i use from ford. and YES this is a special tool they suggest you use when replaceing cams.

Whats the part number for that tool ? Only one I could find was the OTC PN and tried to get it from the local snap on guy and he said he couldnt get it. Can I pick that up at the stealership?

96GTRagTop

Reaction score
it's good to see that ur still around casper. After not seeing post as regularly as u used to i thought u might have gone over to the LS1 side of the Force. It's good to see that ur still posting. Honestly man, i've learned a lot from reading ur how to posts and general tech posts. MM won't be the same without all ur useful information :'( , but i'm real happy i can find it here.

OP
OP
C

Casper98gt

Reaction score
haha, yeah. Come on over here, its a cool place to hang. Im all done with MM. Im not playing games with needing a special room for GIRLS. Are you joking me!!

SVTboy...i posted a post with the tools in it and also gave dealership part numbers.

96GTRagTop

Reaction score
it's funny u said that man, because i've recently been gettig some crap over there. And it's not from members, it's from one dude who joined the site just to sell his car. I'm not gonna bore u with the details, but he even started pming me acting like a smart ass. Normal members even got in his case and told him to fuzz off. I joined this site a few weeks ago after talking to u about places to find cheap pi cams and i saw this place in mustangmatts sig.

On another note, is there really another room for GIRLS, or r u just trying to make a point. Cause if ur trying to make a point, i def understand what u mean.

OP
OP
C

Casper98gt

Reaction score
No it was honestly a post brought up in the moderators section about making a room just for girls. It blew my mind. I just went over and there are SO many posts unanswered. hahahaa. I like it here though. :drunk:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.