Nagging skip

bobcat

Reaction score
I'm sure my issue has been addressed probably multiple times on this forum but after a brief search I found no definitive answers. I have a 96 cobra that aside from a cold air intake and cat back exhaust is stock as far as I know. I bought the car about a year ago from a stranger so it obviously has an unknown maintenance history. I purchased it to restore and fully expected to run I to some issues. Currently the car has a nagging skip issue under load howeveritruns well when I'm just tooling around in it and don'tkick it in the butt. I have preformed a full tune up which included new plugs, wires and filters. For peace of mind all fluids were drained and replaced. Skip remains. Replaced coils. Skip remains. Replaced fuel injectors with the stock 26lb blue top injectors which was what it had in it. Skip remains. Preformed a fuel pressure test and here's what I got. 30psi with ignition on and engine off. 35-38psi at idle and vacuum connected to regulator. Pressure goes down to around 28psi at wot (seems like it should go up). Dis- connect the vacuum from regulator and pressure holds at 40 psi regardless of throttle position. I'm an old school knuckle buster that's far more familiar with carburetors than fuel injection so any advice is appreciated. There is definitely a solid peace of mind from knowing first hand all the parts I've replaced but the irritation is real when I can't seem to rid my car of to demon. Thanks in advance for any help

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Depending on how many miles are on it
I would pull the front cover off and inspect timing chains tensioner make sure all marks lighn up
That is something that really should be gone through once a purchase is done

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Yes, the fuel pressure should go up even below WOT, should almost be linear. And what makes it that way is a vacuum source. When was the PCV valve replaced? Ever? Might be worth checking out.

OP
OP
B

bobcat

Reaction score
Yes, the fuel pressure should go up even below WOT, should almost be linear. And what makes it that way is a vacuum source. When was the PCV valve replaced? Ever? Might be worth checking out.
Thanks, definitely replace the pcv valve. Was looking at specs on new stock fuel pump and fuel pressure produced is 43psi so because mine holds 40 with the regulator un plugged I'm thinking it's not the pump

Tillerman77

Reaction score
I'm sure my issue has been addressed probably multiple times on this forum but after a brief search I found no definitive answers. I have a 96 cobra that aside from a cold air intake and cat back exhaust is stock as far as I know. I bought the car about a year ago from a stranger so it obviously has an unknown maintenance history. I purchased it to restore and fully expected to run I to some issues. Currently the car has a nagging skip issue under load howeveritruns well when I'm just tooling around in it and don'tkick it in the butt. I have preformed a full tune up which included new plugs, wires and filters. For peace of mind all fluids were drained and replaced. Skip remains. Replaced coils. Skip remains. Replaced fuel injectors with the stock 26lb blue top injectors which was what it had in it. Skip remains. Preformed a fuel pressure test and here's what I got. 30psi with ignition on and engine off. 35-38psi at idle and vacuum connected to regulator. Pressure goes down to around 28psi at wot (seems like it should go up). Dis- connect the vacuum from regulator and pressure holds at 40 psi regardless of throttle position. I'm an old school knuckle buster that's far more familiar with carburetors than fuel injection so any advice is appreciated. There is definitely a solid peace of mind from knowing first hand all the parts I've replaced but the irritation is real when I can't seem to rid my car of to demon. Thanks in advance for any help
At what RPM does the skip happen?

OP
OP
B

bobcat

Reaction score
Depending on how many miles are on it
I would pull the front cover off and inspect timing chains tensioner make sure all marks lighn up
That is something that really should be gone through once a purchase is done
Yeah haven't checked timing yet. Figured it runs pretty sweet when cruising that the timing wouldn't be the issue

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Usually I'll go through the whole motor and transmission after I have got it home then worry about the little stuff later

OP
OP
B

bobcat

Reaction score
Usually I'll go through the whole motor and transmission after I have got it home then worry about the little stuff later
That's kinda my plan. Have too many projects going at once right now. I'm in the final stages of completing a full restoration on a 78 Nova that's occupying my garage. Been trying to focus on things I can do in the driveway like interior work. Got the Interior completed and rag top replaced. Just trying to get rid of skip now and will focus on more extensive work when I free up my garage

OP
OP
B

bobcat

Reaction score
The reason I ask is that the IMRC switches at 3250 RPM. If you felt the skip or bog around that RPM, it could be the IMRC plates are sticking.
Do you have ant MIL or engine codes?.
Don't know what ant MIL is lol but no engine light. Haven't put a code reader on it. I though about the IMRC plates. I've read that I can tie them open to test but to expect to lose some low end torque. Is this true? Also I replaced the plugs with standard copper core autolights. They have less than 300 miles but wondering if these 4v motors are too much for standard copper cores. Just drawing at straws at this point

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online