Need help picking a drag radial

jedpony

Reaction score
I need some tires for my 18x10 fr500s. I want to run a 305 out. back but not sure which to go with. Who makes the longest lasting drag radial? It will mostly be street driven and i put about 8,000 miles a year on the car. Ive been looking at the toyo r888 as they have decent pricing and the nitto nt555r. Does anyone have any experience with any of these tires and or any reviews and suggestions? Thanks

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Nitto 555R os really your only every day option. I run them in a 305-40-18 on mine. Anyb other dr will not stay hooked up in the rain...

Gold4.6

Reaction score
I would think the tire compound in a drag radial would wear out super quick with a daily driver.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
NT555R's last forever. I got rid of mine with about 3000 miles on them and they still looked brand new. Everyone I know gets at least 10,000 miles out of them

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
Don't get shittos. Nt555r.... Be better off buying a Michelin street tire. Now the nt05 hook. So do stickey mickeys, and bfgs..

Gold4.6

Reaction score
Hose, I've got mt and I can stick a finger and press into the tread. These things won't get eaten up daily driving?!?

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Lol, Nittos have their purpose. They're a very street/dd friendly drag radial that will hook just fine unless you're making real power. I'd use the Nittos for everyday use and have a set of 15s with a MT slick if I was looking at racing. OP, what kind of mods does your car have?

OP
OP
J

jedpony

Reaction score
Like I said I only drive my car about 8000 miles a year. My car is a 95 gt bolt on car with a procharger going on it in a few weeks

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Micky Thompson just came out with a new street drag radial. Id be more tempted to try those then Nitto's

RichV

Reaction score
Mickeys FTW, all the guys I know that Drag Race swear by them.

Now I don't know if that's your thing or not, you asking how long they last tells me you don't race. IE, you're not buying them to race anyway. The R888 is road race tire, has stiffer sidewall. Drag radials will have a softer sidewall so you can let the air out of them and get some flex. So if you're not really racing, you can get the R888 and they will last you a long time. Just remember that any competition tire does not like cold weather and will eventualy get hard. They have a heat cycle life, and can be heated up an cooled a few times, after that they get harder each time. And I would not suggest tire shine stuff regularly.

I had the Nitto DRs on my 86, and I liked the compromise of street and race tire. t did OK in the rain, but once the tread starts to go down, not so much. I had over 10K on them easily.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
No DR is going to last a really long time. All depends on the miles driven and how hard they are used. Either way all DR's are made of a soft compound which is why they grip so much. Its a compromise between traction and longevity

OP
OP
J

jedpony

Reaction score
Mickeys FTW, all the guys I know that Drag Race swear by them.

Now I don't know if that's your thing or not, you asking how long they last tells me you don't race. IE, you're not buying them to race anyway. The R888 is road race tire, has stiffer sidewall. Drag radials will have a softer sidewall so you can let the air out of them and get some flex. So if you're not really racing, you can get the R888 and they will last you a long time. Just remember that any competition tire does not like cold weather and will eventualy get hard. They have a heat cycle life, and can be heated up an cooled a few times, after that they get harder each time. And I would not suggest tire shine stuff regularly.

Any idea how long the r888 should last? I will only be going to the drag strip once or twice this summer at the most. I only drive the mustang in good weather so it wont be seeing cold weather. I just want them to last me to the end of october. Maybe a dumb question but why shouldnt i regularly put tire shine on them?

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
If you bought a set of DR's now they will last until october. I still have the same set on mine that I used for a few yrs and even took to the track until I got a better track tire ( referring to Nitto DR's ). If you just go to the track a few times and regularly drive them then they will last you for the reminder of this year. I use the Nitto's as a street tire just b/c I only drive it during the summer and street tires often dont give me the traction I want even for the street. I'll most likely try the new MT DR's when I get new tires.

OP
OP
J

jedpony

Reaction score
I just looked at tire rack and they offer the r888 in a 315 30 18. Now im lowered about 1.7 inches in the rear. Other than removing the quad shocks would they fit without rubbing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag