Need help! Power surging

Joshblck1

Reaction score
My 02 gt is having 2 issues that are making it challenging to drive, can someone tell me what could cause them or if they are related??
1- car idles decently but when I put it in gear it will stall out if I dont give it some gas
2- the car has these power surges that come and go seemingly random, for example I will put it in 1st and it will barely go even though you heard the exhaust getting louder, and then once it hits a higher rpm it will take off

Also for number 2- the previous owner incorrectly installed a stage 2 clutch and set the firewall in backwards and its too mushy, could number 2s problem be that the clutch is engaging way too late, acting like a worn out clutch?

Any help would be much appreciated as its making a simple drive pretty scary lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

SMOKEDYA

Reaction score
Do you mean the firewall adjuster is adjusted in too far? And if so how do you know it's in to far? If that's the case though I suggest adjusting the firewall adjuster. Is the cable adjustable as well? Usually if a clutch is installed backwards it's hard to push in the clutch,and usually results in the cable breaking. If the car is running you have the clutch pushed in and it in gear with your foot on the break is that when it dies? What happens with the clutch pushed in and in gear and it running,will the car start moving on it's own?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Sounds like a junk clutch. Put it in 3rd gear while rolling slow and dump it. If the engine revs up, their is you answer.

OP
OP
J

Joshblck1

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the help, im gonna try the 3rd gear test, today its actually not been stalling out but the power surges have been the same, this may be a stupid question but could missing o2 sensors be the problem?

OP
OP
J

Joshblck1

Reaction score
And as far as the firewall adjust being backwards I mean the adjuster itself looks like its in backwards or maybe a piece is missing, im gonna take a picture of it and post it to make sure im just not misunderstanding how the adjuster works

OP
OP
J

Joshblck1

Reaction score
Well I was working on it again today.... still no luck, I really have no idea what to do, but I have been able to better understand the nature of the issue-
In every gear there hits a point in rpms, usually about 4k where power kicks in and pulls hard. I have to really slip the clutch to get the car going and then its slow no matter how much gas I give it fill it hits the power

Does that help any?

OP
OP
J

Joshblck1

Reaction score
PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!!
Boy was it a tough one, with so many possible causes and very little knowledge and help I finally figured it out, I stumbled upon a thread about resetting the cars ecu and decided to try it just for the heck of it and it WORKED!!!!

You probably dont understand, the car was baaaaddd, little to no power anywhere under 4k rpms, then it would take off and randomly surge in power at speeds 50 over,
I can not tell you how much this has improved the drive-ability of my car! The car idles at lower rpms and the exhaust even smells less rich. Hopfully ill see some improved mpgs too. Its a normal car now hahah

I still have many other things that need to be fixed but this was by far the most troubling one

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Cool. My next suggestion was a maf cleaning. If your car goes back into that rut, unplug the maf before resetting computer. If the car screams again, the maf was the whole problem.

OP
OP
J

Joshblck1

Reaction score
Thats so funny that you just posted that cause litterally just today it did it again, I reset the ecu again and it fixed it but im gonna try what you said next time. Do you know where I can get one of the security bits for the MAF?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Autozone has a security bit set for around $10. Im not real sure where to get just the one bit needed. Do you have an aftermarket intake air filter?

OP
OP
J

Joshblck1

Reaction score
Thats not bad, im gonna get some and yes I do why?

OP
OP
J

Joshblck1

Reaction score
Cool. My next suggestion was a maf cleaning. If your car goes back into that rut, unplug the maf before resetting computer. If the car screams again, the maf was the whole problem.

So today it messed up again and I did unplug the maf and it definitely did run stronger for while, by the end of the 25 min I drove, it was starting to do alot of bucking , would you say the maf could still be causing problems?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online