Need opinions on coil overs?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Before you read on:
I know you 'get what you pay for'. I am in highschool and am pretty much throwing every penny, nickel, and dime I have at my car, budget is always tight, and while I don't like cheaping out on parts I DO NOT want to pay an arm and a leg for anything.

That being said.

I was looking at getting coil overs with shocks and struts from UPR. Now I have never dealt with UPR myself, and the total for the front and rear coil over kit, paired with their strange 10 way adjustable shocks and struts is about $710 EDIT: I ****ed up in doing math... Didn't multiply the shock and strut price by 2... actually total is $895.95
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-blue-front-rear-coil-over-package.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-mustang-adjustable-shock-94.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-mustang-adjustable-strut-94.html

Now I was browsing American Muscle, looking at car parts I could never afford like usual, and saw that under their new products they added these beauties from SR Performance. These run for $749.99 ($704 w/ discount)
http://www.americanmuscle.com/srperformance-coilover-7994.html

I was looking at it and it did not have anything listed under the 'in the box' tab, so I opened up a live chat window and talked to Phil F. From AM and he answered all my questions.

There is no cutting required unlike the UPR coil over kit where you would have to cut the dust shields, I would much rather not go cutting into that stuff so thats a +++

Shocks and struts are included in this coil over kit.

And while I had him I asked about the installation and with another set of hands and some hand tools (power tools making it easier of course) it was pretty easy to just do in the driveway.

So the pros of the SR performance coil overs from AM:
No cutting, simple bolt in
It's from AM, so customer service is amazing
They're affordable and the SR Performance brand is a pretty good brand

Cons:
There are none???

So for about $200 less, I have a 6% discount code for AM from being an AllFordMustangs forum member, which will take off about $45, making these cheaper than the UPR ones.

So I want your opinions, should I go with UPR? Are they a really good brand that I don't know about? Or should I go with SR Performance from AM and pretty much know I am going to be taken very well care of by the staff and am spending a bit less while also saving the hastle of cutting the dust shields.

And a question for Ferocious, how any inches is your drop? The SR Performance coil over state they lower your car in a range of 1"-3" from stock, and I have seen a TON of 1-2" dropped cars but haven't really seen a 3" dropped car. I would probably only go to 3" for large car shows, but even if I don't I am curious how low a 3" drop really is.

the5.ohh Look into these... I know a 1" drop is as low as you want to go but gives you the option to go lower without spending more on different springs...

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The most important question is what is your main goal with the car? Daily? Track-oriented? Weekend toy?
If you're looking for a coilover kit that will actually enhance handling, go with maximum motorsports.
You can piece together a used kit for just around the price of a new UPR kit.

As far as brands, let me break it down for you..

UPR:
UPR is a very two-sided brand. Some people on here hate them. Others have no problem with them.
I will agree that their parts are not of the highest quality and I would only recommend them if you are truly building on a budget.
However, like I said, you can piece together a used kit like I did for the same price as a new one. There are coilover kits all over the corral daily.
If you're just using your car as a daily driver, the UPR kit will be fine. I have the strange 10-way adjustable dampers and they are very nice. Having the ability to change the stiffness is great especially if you want to hit the track every once in a while.

SR Performance:
I would highly advise against the SR performance kit. It is a brand-new kit and I don't know of anyone running it. For all I know, it hasn't been tested.
SR performance also doesn't let you choose your spring rate which is an automatic no for me. Also the spring rate it comes with (220/250) is pretty soft.
By the look of the pictures, the rears also only give you very limited adjustment.

It also looks like you forgot camber plates. You will need a 4 bolt design to hold up to the pressure created by the springs.

And regarding ride height, my car is probably lowered 3.5+". I did manage a 2.8" drop with my springs if you want me to post a picture of that for reference.
3" is definitely not enough for me, but it all depends on how low you want to go.

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
The most important question is what is your main goal with the car? Daily? Track-oriented? Weekend toy?
If you're looking for a coilover kit that will actually enhance handling, go with maximum motorsports.
You can piece together a used kit for just around the price of a new UPR kit.

As far as brands, let me break it down for you..

UPR:
UPR is a very two-sided brand. Some people on here hate them. Others have no problem with them.
I will agree that their parts are not of the highest quality and I would only recommend them if you are truly building on a budget.
However, like I said, you can piece together a used kit like I did for the same price as a new one. There are coilover kits all over the corral daily.
If you're just using your car as a daily driver, the UPR kit will be fine. I have the strange 10-way adjustable dampers and they are very nice. Having the ability to change the stiffness is great especially if you want to hit the track every once in a while.

SR Performance:
I would highly advise against the SR performance kit. It is a brand-new kit and I don't know of anyone running it. For all I know, it hasn't been tested.
SR performance also doesn't let you choose your spring rate which is an automatic no for me. Also the spring rate it comes with (220/250) is pretty soft.
By the look of the pictures, the rears also only give you very limited adjustment.

It also looks like you forgot camber plates. You will need a 4 bolt design to hold up to the pressure created by the springs.

And regarding ride height, my car is probably lowered 3.5+". I did manage a 2.8" drop with my springs if you want me to post a picture of that for reference.
3" is definitely not enough for me, but it all depends on how low you want to go.
So I'm guessing you have MM coil overs? What spring rate? And how does it ride on the street? I now DD my Cobra so I don't want to get something that is all stiff. My main reason for coil overs would be stance. I've stayed away from coil overs due to a lot of people stating that they are harsh. Then you get people saying it depends on the spring rate. I mean really if you could make it feel like factory but handle a bit better that would be legit. Your stance is freakin perfect! Coil overs all around?

Don't mean to derail your thread OP. But I also would not go with SR; they're a new brand and just seem relatively cheapo chinese built.

Rallim

Reaction score
For the price and specs of the SR Performance ones, I'd get racelands. Cheap, and effective, and about $440.

You never mentioned why you were going coilovers, I've got plenty of suggestions based on what you're using them for.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm guessing you have MM coil overs? What spring rate? And how does it ride on the street? I now DD my Cobra so I don't want to get something that is all stiff. My main reason for coil overs would be stance. I've stayed away from coil overs due to a lot of people stating that they are harsh. Then you get people saying it depends on the spring rate. I mean really if you could make it feel like factory but handle a bit better that would be legit. Your stance is freakin perfect! Coil overs all around?

Don't mean to derail your thread OP. But I also would not go with SR; they're a new brand and just seem relatively cheapo chinese built.

I actually do not have MM on mine. I have a full strange engineering setup (minus the springs) on the front of my car. Front springs are 300 lbs, which rides very nice in my car.
Madstang helped me pick out the right spring rate for my car and I was not dissapointed. I sold the 200 lbs springs I had because they would definitely have been too soft.

And sadly i'm still running springs in the rear with adjustable control arms. I will be making the switch to coilovers next year.

In the end, ride quality will boil down to spring rate and the struts like you said.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For the price and specs of the SR Performance ones, I'd get racelands. Cheap, and effective, and about $440.

You never mentioned why you were going coilovers, I've got plenty of suggestions based on what you're using them for.
Link?
Do you use raceland?

Rallim

Reaction score
Link?
Do you use raceland?

http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/ford-coilover-kits/ford-mustang-coilovers-1994-1998.html

On my car, no. I'm going with BC's once I have the cash for them. A buddy has them on his Forester, and for a car that's strictly a daily I couldn't recommend them more. They're comfortable, and he's had no problems with them, and his Forester is WAAAAY lower then stock. Another friend has them on his BMW 325i, and he's tracked them and they did half decently.

1237109_10201960190595446_1965338808_n.jpg

Rallim

Reaction score
Do you know how low they can go? Are they stiff enough?

The site says 1-3 inches depending, they're generally a lower coilover so probably lower then anyone on here will need. I doubt they'd be stiff, considering how low the spring rate is on them. I'd use them if you want low/need new struts, not performance.

jedpony

Reaction score
Just for reference here is my car with coilovers on the front completely slammed as low as it would go. Id say it was a good 4+ inches lower in the front atleast. The rear was lowered 2 inches with lowering springs. I had no more than an inch of clearance under the car where the brace was. You learn fast how to dodge curvature in the roads lol. Heck i was bottoming out on roads i thought were perfectly flat. Id say stick around the 3 inch area if you actually want your car to be driveable.

20130825_123331_zps091946c2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Purpose of getting coilovers:
Daily driver. 8 mile round trip to school every week day, 4 mile round trip to work everyday. Drive up to a car show that's about 30 mile round trip once a week and also hit up another show that's a 5 mile round trip once a week... Mainly wanted coilovers and not lowering springs so I could personalize the ride hiegjt exactly how I want it, I also need new struts and shocks so that kills 2 birds with 1 stone... I will also pick a daily ride height, and when it comes time for say the American Muscle show, or any other big car show, I'd slam it as low as it'll go for the duration of the show. Performance is a low priority. And I am on a strictly tight budget as mentioned in the OP.
I was originally looking at racelands but was talked out of it due to some horror stories. But if they're not as bad as they where talked up to be that's definetly an option.

Also I do know that I would need CC plates. Didn't mention it because I figured that was a given, between the added pressure in the towers and the alignment problems that can happen when going low.

[MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] I'd love to see a picture of your car with the 2.8" drop... That's pretty close to the 3 that UPR, SR Performance, and Raceland would all max out at.

[MENTION=16862]jedpony[/MENTION] what coilovers do you have on the front? That 4" drop looks sweet.

[MENTION=15366]Rallim[/MENTION] Do you know if the Racelands require any cutting of the dust shields for fitment? I really need a bolt and go kind of setup... Also do they come with everything I need? From the pictures it doesn't seem to have the ride height adjustment wrench, or any plates that the SR Performance ones come with.

[MENTION=13702]1997GT4.6[/MENTION] no worries man. As long as it's relevant to the topic I don't mind you asking your own questions in here :) cuts down on cluttered and repetitive threads anyways haha.

And while I'm thinking about it. I know I have to get CC plates. But what's the best bang for my buck in that department?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Upr sucks assshole
Sr ? Eh im all set
I used strange on mine...

To each their own

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
If i remember the measurements correctly this is a 3" drop in the front from stock height, much more than this and the tire will hit the fender and splash guard over little bumps. also keep in mind any time you adjust the height of the coilovers it will mess with the tire alignment so you won't want to drive too far like that.

2012-07-18_20-08-47_623.jpg

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I will also pick a daily ride height, and when it comes time for say the American Muscle show, or any other big car show, I'd slam it as low as it'll go for the duration of the show.

Like Onyx said, if you're gonna do this, be prepared to have your car aligned everytime you change the ride height. I believe you can raise or lower the car up to .5" without messing up the alignment. Any more that that and your toe and camber will probably change.

I was originally looking at racelands but was talked out of it due to some horror stories. But if they're not as bad as they where talked up to be that's definetly an option.

Ricelands are hit and miss.
http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?58820-Anyone-use-Raceland-Coilovers&highlight=raceland

Ferocious I'd love to see a picture of your car with the 2.8" drop... That's pretty close to the 3 that UPR, SR Performance, and Raceland would all max out at.

The springs lowered it 2.1" and when we pulled the isos we managed another .7".

8669799749_084e330323_z.jpg

And while I'm thinking about it. I know I have to get CC plates. But what's the best bang for my buck in that department?

Maximum Motorsports or J&M.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I can do an alignment at both my school and my dad's friend's shop... Although I might just go 3" and leave it, naturally raising it a bit when it comes winter time so I don't destroy my front bumper from snow plowing. LOL [MENTION=8293]OnyxCobra[/MENTION] & [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION]: What size tires do you guys have on in those pictures?

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Well I have 235/50/18 on my wheels now but will have 245/45/18 when I have to replace these wheels so I shouldn't rub at 3" right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online