New edge hood scoop on an SN95?

myk

Reaction score
American Muscle has that blue SN95 on their website with a hood scoop that looks good from most angles. It can be done.

It doesn't look bad, but unless you are making a functional ram-air system, hood scoops are useless. But don't listen to me, I am all about function, not form. I think non-functioning scoops and vents are just bull$#!+ posturing, ricer nonsense.

As for function versus form, keep in mind that we buy Mustangs for image and looks just as much as we buy them for performance. If all you truly cared about was true, unadulterated speed and form over function, you'd buy a 1 Liter sport bike, not a fat Mustang with a little horsey in the grille...

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
LOL. I did this just for fun. I just set the thing on there and shared what I thought not many members on here have seen. No scoops for me. Only hood mod I'll be doing is a replacement glass 3" or whatever cowl.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Obviously form does come into play. Yes, I can agree with that.

But, scoops and vents and spoilers that are not actually serving their true purpose are all useless. Especially when you consider how easily you can make them functional. I see inert hood scoops as a job half done. I see it as laziness incarnate. You will take time to install it on your hood, but you won't take the time to cut it open and plumb the opening to your air filter? Why not?

The only thing that makes hood scoops look cool, is their association with performance. Hood scoops, ram air, shakers, and cowl induction hoods all were born with performance in mind. Cold air directly to the air filter. The ram air car performed better than the non ram air car. That's why hood scoops are cool.

Just adding some random bump on your hood doesn't make you cool. It makes you a poser. And it shows that you are not willing to finish the job.

All of that is my opinion, and I am sure some of you may disagree. But I feel that it is all but inarguable. The Mustang is a pony car, which for all intents and purposes is a muscle car. Muscle cars got their status and reputation from performance. The whole reason anyone anywhere thinks cowl hoods and hood scoops look good all stems from performance based functioning mods. The performance is what made the modification cool.

Dress your Mustang up to look like a Ferrari. Sure, if done right, it would look cool. But you would still be a poser. And you still won't have Ferrari performance. And that's what counts.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So you cut open the side scoop area to vent the brakes (unless you have a 94/95 which already had that) but was found to do nothing more than create drag and slow the car down.

Similarly, short of putting on a sealed system, just cutting a hole out where the scoop goes and trying to plumb to the intake would do little for performance, and do much for leaking water and creating drag, slowing the car down. That's why nobody does it.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Yes, making scoops functional takes work. Doing a job right often takes work. Yes, functional scoops produce drag. The goal is to make the cooling or intake benefits outweigh the downside of the additional drag.

Don't let me discourage anyone from doing anything. My vote will always favor function over form. If you want fake scoops and big spoilers and tribal decals with under-glow lights, have at it. Rice it up. Make your car look fast.

I'm just more impressed by modifications that actually make the car fast, not just look fast.

badsheep5.0

Reaction score
Yes, making scoops functional takes work. Doing a job right often takes work. Yes, functional scoops produce drag. The goal is to make the cooling or intake benefits outweigh the downside of the additional drag.

Don't let me discourage anyone from doing anything. My vote will always favor function over form. If you want fake scoops and big spoilers and tribal decals with under-glow lights, have at it. Rice it up. Make your car look fast.

I'm just more impressed by modifications that actually make the car fast, not just look fast.
Oh no some one got David on his function over form rampage this is a never ending battle if you feel like arguing that non functional hoods are worth the time just stop the typing I have seen this battle to many times, I repeat do not argue walk away

Mustanger

Reaction score
I always liked this setup...& it looks killer IMO

Shaker%20SN95.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
^ Car looks good, but the shaker looks better on the new edges.

I don't know man, that set up looks killer! I think on the 96-98 the shaker sits a little higher through the hood and that looks good in my opinion. Don't get me wrong though, I love a shaker on a new edge too. I think its just to close to call as to which one looks better.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
It looks better on the SN, because SN's (in general) look better than new edges. But I hate the new edge, so I might be biased. That SN with the new edge hood scoop does look good, I will give you that.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's not a "new edge" hood scoop, that's the shaker system. But yes it looks sick

Carnage281

Reaction score
I don't know man, that set up looks killer! I think on the 96-98 the shaker sits a little higher through the hood and that looks good in my opinion. Don't get me wrong though, I love a shaker on a new edge too. I think its just to close to call as to which one looks better.
The reason you like it is the same reason I don't like it as much lol. If the shaker were a bit lower it would be perfect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001