New metra double DIN plate for 94-2000 mustang

trebor3170

Reaction score
Ok, got some pictures, I don't know what the deal is with the misalignment on the lower right side above the shift bezel. I'm thinking it may be something with my dash panel, because the radio surround matched up with the original, so I need to look into that. And, yes it's black, not charcoal, pics were taken on Sat. afternoon in bright sunlight, and are washed out a bit.
f72d4ddee0e2f69acd371e0c150beac4.jpg
1183410b06f18dc440a69efce99973ef.jpg
19671169c5434e30801fb397c9186bf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Awesome, totally buying one. Thanks for the pics!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

trebor3170

Reaction score
Damn, I didn't realize my dash was that dusty, even has cobwebs, LOL:confused:. Anyway, I want to let you know what I did wrong, so that anybody who wants to use this kit doesn't make the same mistakes I did, the most time consuming part of this job should be the wiring. Use magnetic drivers, I still have one screw rattling around in my console somewhere.
The biggest issue I had, was the Metra instructions aren't clear as to how the brackets need to located on the radio. In the instructions, it looks like the top edges of the brackets and radio should be flush, that is wrong, the bracket should be about 1/8 inch below the top of the radio. I wasted way to much time enlarging holes, and drilling new ones, trying to get the top edges flush. When the brackets are in the proper place, the holes line up. After you have the brackets on your radio, before doing anything else to the faceplate, install the clips and test fit the radio to the faceplate. It should be centered in the opening, and the brackets should be tight against the back of the faceplate. If not loosen the screws and adjust. After this is right, the rest is just follow the instructions. I used a razor saw to cut off the ears in the opening, I think one of the "jab" saws, that uses a hacksaw blade, would work also. The plastic of the dash is a very ridged reinforced plastic, so do drill pilot holes for the screws.
Happy installing :D

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting, I was of the understanding that the 94-00 shifter bezel was different from the 01-04, and wouldn't work with the later radio surround, I guess I understood wrong.

in the 2nd and 3rd pic the right side is not lined up. The bezels are similar but there is a slight design change that if you are not picky you can live with it but if it bugs you it bugs you.

I lived with it for about eight years. Then I got a matching shifter bezel, and it really didn’t improve the look much. (My cigarette lighter door broke, which was the real reason I chose to buy a replacement.) Even with the replacement fitment is still a bit off. The bottom of the radio bezel still needs to be trimmed, as it pushes down on the center console.

One thing to consider about the metra product though is how awkward it looks without buttons. I would definitely buy a placard of some kind to put there. With the 01+ bezels, you can use buttons, which I use for aftermarketing lighting and heated seats. Also, this, like the 02+ do not have the vent closures on the side. This always bugged me. If you want to continue using directional vents, the way Ford originally intended, you will need a factory 2001 bezel. I rarely use AC, but when I do, it’s typically for someone else. If they want/need it blowing at full. I want the option of closing vents, and aiming them elsewhere just creates a bouncing effect.

PS, I know the HVAC cover is shit. It’s on the “to do” list

Attachments

• 3D227A87-AFD8-493F-9044-9878F753D6DB.jpeg
    3D227A87-AFD8-493F-9044-9878F753D6DB.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 3ED819A8-DB11-407F-8824-B5B45B83E4BC.jpeg
    3ED819A8-DB11-407F-8824-B5B45B83E4BC.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Reaction score
Interesting. Does it bother you how deeply set the radio is?

trebor3170

Reaction score
No, that doesn't bother me, what does tho is these new radios that use one knob/button to do everything. I can't make any adjustments except volume, and change the station, without the manual. :rolleyes:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there is a learning curve on almost any new electronics. Give it some time and keep playing with it and before you know it you will not have to look down to do what you want.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
No, that doesn't bother me, what does tho is these new radios that use one knob/button to do everything. I can't make any adjustments except volume, and change the station, without the manual. :rolleyes:

My problem is the lack of that one knob. I want to turn up the volume while driving, and now have to look for a small button, and the screen as well which indicates the volume actually is being changed, since it’s so gradual, because that button has to be pressed so many times.

But then again, I should be grateful for even having a volume button. Everything is touch screen nowadays.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it will sounds stupid, but does it have a remote? The nice thing about the remote isn't that its too far away to reach its nice that you can memorize the keys on it like you do your tv remote to not have to look down for anything.

Reaction score
Ergonomics was lost a loooong time ago. Stereos are designed to be operated by your passenger now.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
it will sounds stupid, but does it have a remote? The nice thing about the remote isn't that its too far away to reach its nice that you can memorize the keys on it like you do your tv remote to not have to look down for anything.

They still make stereos with remotes? I know my mid 90s CD changer had a remote. And my first in dash MP3 player aiwa in 2000 had one. But nothing I’ve dealt with from modern times I know has. The CD changer remote was a true hand held remote that I had to affix somewhere on the center console. The aiwa remote was designed to go on your steering wheel, which meant that if you did not have a black steering wheel cover, it looked pretty stupid... ...especially if you are one of the blessed few with factory red interior. That one in particular was pointless anyway because the buttons were so small that you had to look at it, and being from 2000, the faceplate itself had a real functioning knob, and physical buttons. I never had to ever look at it unless I wanted to confirm what folder I was navigating to.

Bogs

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have the Mach 460 with the cassette and below the CD. I would like to upgrade the head unit with a blue tooth receiver and remove the CD part that's below it. I have seen pictures of a block out plate to cover where the CD would be removed. I would use it for mounting gauges. Anyone know where I could find this item?

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online