New project and 2 questions

Tim300wsm

Reaction score
I just got my cobra yesterday. The previous owner had the head gaskets done, new radiator, new water pump new thermostat. It runs hot in traffic/ low speed but is fine at highway speeds. What could cause this? (Searched and couldn’t find answer but I may be an idiot)

2nd issue is it has a tick at idle and not under load. Under load it disappears. Oil pressure shows good on gauge

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Chain tensioners are usually the cause of the idle tick, it's chain clap. Multiple technical service bulletins have been made by Ford over the years in the newer engines. What can cause it is negative travel in the tensioners or just low oil volume in the pan. Earlier mod motors didn't have good drainback to the pan to begin with which was certainly fixed in the current Coyote era. But again, Ford's tensioner design has always been 'good enough' for general production (but not good enough for us). There are fixes for it, namely MMR has spacers that limit negative tensioner travel which requires a lot of disassembly and maybe is not worth it if you can live with the ticking noise. Just don't be bouncing off the rev limiter standing still in a parking lot or something. A loose chain always has the possibility of jumping sprocket teeth and that's one of the most undesirable things.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Stack washers behind the chain tensioners piston with the long chains. Takes a little trial and error to get the tension right.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Probably last around 30k miles before readjusting, but if you suspect youll ever be on the rev limiter often, itll save your engine.

OP
OP
Tim300wsm

Tim300wsm

Reaction score
Probably last around 30k miles before readjusting, but if you suspect youll ever be on the rev limiter often, itll save your engine.
My main reason for buying it is to autocross it so I will need to fix it

Venompower

Reaction score
I'm going to suggest burping the cooling system at the cross over... between head gaskets and radiator the coolant would have needed to be refilled, and you may have an air bubble in the system.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
hopefully the gaskets were put on correctly and none of the water outlets were blocked
and thats hard to tell because the heads are installed
seen that mistake many times

OP
OP
Tim300wsm

Tim300wsm

Reaction score
hopefully the gaskets were put on correctly and none of the water outlets were blocked
and thats hard to tell because the heads are installed
seen that mistake many times
Yeah I would really hate to do the head gaskets 1st thing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txnszn

Members online