Nitto NT555 yea or nay?

Goldmember

Reaction score
Want to buy these when I put my 17's back on next month. Since Nittos tend to run a little small I think I'm going to go 255/40 on the stock split-spokes.

For cost/performance/wear they seem tough to beat.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nitto 555's F'ing ROCK!!!

Such a good price for a great tire

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the input Handz. Do you think I'll be OK with 255-series tires on the stock rims?

RJayLo

Reaction score
I have them on my SRT now and ZERO complaints :thumb:

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Goldmember said:
Cool, thanks for the input Handz. Do you think I'll be OK with 255-series tires on the stock rims?

when i had my split spokes i ran a 245 and it fit nice... My buddy ran a 255 Nitto and it look Good. You should be very happy with 255's

Nitto 555's are a very hard tire to be for the performance and Price.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
First of all, lets talk about your size selection. 255 is an oddball size, and does not sell a lot of tires. This affects pricing, as you will see that that extra 10mm in tire width will cost you 20 dollars extra per tire. Might as well pay 10 dollars more and run a 275. You are not going to get any difference that you will see on the street. More over, wider tire will increase roll resistance, add weight and cost you in gas milage.

Secondly on the tires themselves. The only good nitto is a R comp nitto. 555 gets greasy as hell under track conditions, and I know this first hand. If you are looking for some really good rubber that will perform on the street or the track, I'd highly recommend Kumho Ecsta MX. It's not much more than 555, and is a much better tire in every respect. It does not overheat at the track, has stiff sidewalls for predictable and crisp handling. Another tire I'd recommend personally is Avon Tech M500. Dirt fucking cheap (because they are closing them out at TireRack), and these perform AWESOME at the track. A little slippery when cold, but they can stand up to a 35 minute hot lap session on fast track without ever overheating. The only complaint I had with them is that the sidewall is a bit soft, but that could be compensated by running a little more tire pressure than usual (went from running 32psi on all 4 to running 35psi on front tires for better steering responce).

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For some reason I never liked Kumho tires. I never really cared for the way they felt.

I am up for new Tires soon.... And i will be going with the Nitto 555's again (This will be my 3rd Set).

The only thing thats stealing me from the 555's are Michelin Pilot Sports... But the 555's price keep dragging me back in

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
All this talk about "track conditions," I should point out that my car is a Point A-Point B DD that will never see the track. That said, you bet I enjoy an occasional back-road blast. I'm not setting this thing up for every 10th or to pwn all on the autocross circuit. From what I could see the 555's were my best bet.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
My car sees around 23k miles a year or so, and on top of that I do on average 6 track days a year to add to that as well. With that kind of mileage and driving style comes a lot of tire changing. The Avons I've got on right now have seen about 12k miles, two track days, and still look pretty good.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Goldmember, go with the 555's.

I have 22,000 miles with 2 Auto X and 2 Trackdays on my tires.... They still have life left for another 7-9K miles on them.

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
Goldmember said:
All this talk about "track conditions," I should point out that my car is a Point A-Point B DD that will never see the track. That said, you bet I enjoy an occasional back-road blast. I'm not setting this thing up for every 10th or to pwn all on the autocross circuit. From what I could see the 555's were my best bet.

dd ftw

i bet like 1/500th of the actual people who have mustang actually take them to the track/auto x

ReplicaR

Reaction score
With the amount of 6 cyl. cars sold, I bet you the ratio is atleast 3 times that.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
With the amount of 6 cyl. cars sold, I bet you the ratio is atleast 3 times that.

Yeah.... Thats what i was thinking also.

V6 Car sales are the only thing that keep mustangs alive

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lately the sales have favored GT's...

But yeah, and most Jeep's never go offroad, etc etc, people buy the image.

scott5

Reaction score
i mist say nittos are the best by far.. I even use my drag radials in the snow! and have yet to get stuck

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
scott5 said:
i mist say nittos are the best by far.. I even use my drag radials in the snow! and have yet to get stuck

you must not get very much snow at all. I don't drive in the snow just because my car cannot do ANYTHING in the snow, i can't stop i can't steer I can't go. well maybe that's a little over doing it, it's just really hard to do anything, i have to start out in 2nd in order to not spin and I'll put it in 5th gear at 40 because I'm spinning so badly and going everywhere. . my tires are fuzion zri's and they're good in everything but snow.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Word of Warning.... NT555's suck in the rain

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
Word of Warning.... NT555's suck in the rain

lol Handz now ya tell me... Wet weather traction is high on my priority list. Know of anything close to the NT555's in cost that doesnt such in the rain?

I run a separate set of mounted snows for the winter months.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Like RealityGT said, No Summer Sports tire with Great Dry traction is gonna work in the Rain.

I heard the BFG KDW's work good in rain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online