No Dashlights , No Tail lights means that.....

Reaction score
it stumped me for a while. I went to the fuse panel(1995 convert 3.8) and my test light lit up on both sides of the fuse , so what the heck. Then I wondered if I could have the worst coincidental luck in that both tail lights had burned out. Nope. I went through the fuse panels and checked them in the owners manual. After trying the normal trouble shooting I tried pulling the headlight switch off and on , the clock flashed and the cluster lit up, checked and tail lights on. So it appears to be in the headlight switch . I sprayed the switch rod with silicon, figuring that would lube anything during the off/on operation. With the headlight switch pulled out , I just have to move it inward ever so slightly and everything lights up. Does this sound like the switch is goin south or is it just signs of wear. Opinions welcomed.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
get your test light back out and check all the fuses both under the dash and the hood. It only takes a minute and lets us know that they are all good, or....

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
ttocs , I did do that , I started under the hood and checked all , then went under the dash. Fuse relay location 13 and that fuse checked out, then fuse location 5 checked out. Those two locations are listed for instrumentation panel , illumination lamps , PRNDL illum , /ashtray illum. 5 is listed for headlamp switch , exterior lamps and cluster illumination. All other fuses check out . I'm 99.9% sure this is in the switch. Switch swap out is pretty easy if I have to do it , after all the car is only 24 years old. lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am just wanting to make sure, you say you checked fuse location 13 and 5. Did you check the others under the dash?

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
I went into CARQUEST this afternoon and ordered a new headlight switch and a new knob. If I wiggle the old switch the lights will come on but that's too iffy when it comes to having tail lights at night. Its not working as it should so it is being replaced.

trebor3170

Reaction score
Don't be surprised to find the switch connector melted and burnt. It is a common issue with these cars, the connector is readily available, and will need to be spliced in. Or, you may get lucky, and a previous owner already had it done.

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Hey trebor3170 . Well you called it , there was evidence of a melt but very minor , so I installed the switch and connected everything up. All functions are working. You could see where the plastic had got hot , some burn along the edge but nothing ruined to the extent that it couldn't be used.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson