Numbers from dyno are in...

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Well, got my car tuned today and wow it made a big difference in how it accelerates and how smoothly it idles/drives now. Anyways, I don't have a scanner handy, but it made 270rwhp and 283rwtq on a Mustang Dyno which I have heard reads lower numbers. Tried the car at the track, but combined with street tires and a VERY badly prepped track(another guy had a 427w stroker with 325 ET streets and couldn't hook), my car was spinning off the line no matter how I launch and was spinning in 2nd no matter what. I ripped a [email protected] with a 2.5 60 foot time. I think I need drag radials ASAP to get a real time out of the car, I got back to the pits and my rear tires were melting and ripping in some areas, whoops!

ryclef331

Reaction score
You should be WAY into the 13's with those mods...even 12s. I ran a 13.05 with pirrelli snow tires. In all seriousness, I bet you need suspension work...a tire worth a crap would help also but still...your MPH is extremely low and I think your dyno numbers are too...even for a mustang dyno.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Without my H/C/I I ran a 14 flat. Thats with 285 Nitto 555's

I also got my car tuned yesterday and I put down 297/310. Im hoping for low 13's with my new 315 Nt05's and 12's with slicks...

ryclef331

Reaction score
CanaryGT said:
Without my H/C/I I ran a 14 flat. Thats with 285 Nitto 555's

I also got my car tuned yesterday and I put down 297/310. Im hoping for low 13's with my new 315 Nt05's and 12's with slicks...
I went 14.8....stock....down to the air silencer still in. SOMETHING else is going on there with his car. Yes a mustang dyno reads low like stated before but even that MPH SHOULD be higher...especially with 3.73s. Get a tire under that car...what is your rear suspension? Even on the shittiest traack, you should be able to crack a 2.1 or 2.0 short time.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Bone stock, 229xxxkm suspension, spinning off the line and into 2nd no matter what I do isn't getting much done, THATS why my MPH is low, plus i'm 1500m above sea level.

EDIT: Should add that once I hit 2nd gear, I had some mad wheel hop going down lol. And there is nothing wrong with the car at all, the guys who did the tuning where surprised at how well the car runs and pulls. I'm also using the original 229xxxkm bottom end too, I'm not disappointed with my numbers at all. With the track ones yes, but there is crap all I can do about that until I get some decent tires.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Before you even put a drag radial under that car, at least AT LEAST put some good upper and lower control arms and probably rear shocks if they're still the originals...drag radials will NOT fix wheel hop and wheel hop will KILL your rear end and/or tq boxes....that will help TONS right off the bat. Uppers, Lowers, Shocks, Tires.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Rice_slayer said:
Well, got my car tuned today and wow it made a big difference in how it accelerates and how smoothly it idles/drives now. Anyways, I don't have a scanner handy, but it made 270rwhp and 283rwtq on a Mustang Dyno which I have heard reads lower numbers. Tried the car at the track, but combined with street tires and a VERY badly prepped track(another guy had a 427w stroker with 325 ET streets and couldn't hook), my car was spinning off the line no matter how I launch and was spinning in 2nd no matter what. I ripped a [email protected] with a 2.5 60 foot time. I think I need drag radials ASAP to get a real time out of the car, I got back to the pits and my rear tires were melting and ripping in some areas, whoops!
Ok, so doing some math for you, with a 14.9 and a 2.5 60ft, with .1 of 60ft netting roughly .2 of 1/4 mile et reduction, and your car should, I say should, net some 1.9 60 fts with a good drag radial and your suspension problems fixed, that would net you around a 12.7 or so. What was your mph and please, please tell me you were not doing a burn out with street tires before you launched. please.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
haha no burnout and as for the MPH, thats from spinning in 2nd gear, I have a video of the run I can post later.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
yeah, do that. That car's got a 12 sec pass in it for sure. Just get some traction and drive it like you stole it.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
You get some more time behind the wheel as it sits, get the suspension updated and a good tire. I agree you could see a definite 12 second pass

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
NXcoupe said:
yeah, do that. That car's got a 12 sec pass in it for sure. Just get some traction and drive it like you stole it.
That's what the guys tuning it said. They told me the car is running great and pulls hard. I was literally hammering the gears hard on the track, probably why I was spinning in 2nd. I think the Posi in my diffy is starting to head south though, how hard would it be to put in a detriot locker? Would I have to set the lash on the gears again and all that crap? Anyways here's the video, love the sound of the car, but getting traction with these street tires is next to impossible :(. As I said though, the track was TERRIBLE and guys with slicks were having issues hooking up to, so I don't feel as bad.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sm00rqlett0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sm00rqlett0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Lee12609

Reaction score
spinning that bad will actually increase your trap speed. even if it stays the same on a great 60' (1.9-2.0) you will barely break into the 13s.

you need a hard launch to go mid to low 13s, and i seriously doubt you'll ever see a 12 second pass on that setup without some weight reduction and 1.5-1.6 short times.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
how can spinning 300-400 feet into the track INCREASE track speed when the car is spinning and not actually gaining? I had this issue last year and when I was spinning like this with stock engine I was doing about 88mph traps, dropped tire PSI and ran a 15.1@92mph last year. I don't expect 12s with this car the way it is. I'm doing front coilovers and tubular A-arms in the front eventually and MAYBE get skinnies for the front, but that won't be for awhile.

Forseth

Reaction score
Hey man, not to steal your thread but Im pretty much in the same boat as you (my sig) best time I got is a 14.3 with a 2.3 60 ft. unlike you i do have uppers and lowers but still have stock shocks/eibach pros all the way around with 315/35-17 sumitomo's out back. I'm hoping a set of drag radials will help.

Forseth

daves94vert

Reaction score
Math is wrong. A 1.9 60ft will net around 13.7 et. Either shift points are wrong and or the car weighs a lot. What rpm's are you shifting. You generally shift a couple hundred past peak horsepower rpm and go from there (adjusting up and down in 100 rpm increments to see which works best).

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
I'm shifting at 5600rpm, car makes peak power at like 5500rpm. Car is a stock GT with no smog equipment but I have big 18" wheels all around lol.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Forseth said:
Hey man, not to steal your thread but Im pretty much in the same boat as you (my sig) best time I got is a 14.3 with a 2.3 60 ft. unlike you i do have uppers and lowers but still have stock shocks/eibach pros all the way around with 315/35-17 sumitomo's out back. I'm hoping a set of drag radials will help.

Forseth

There has to be something wrong. What was your trap speed?

Lee12609

Reaction score
spinning always makes ET lower and trap higher, if you dont believe me keep going to the track. i go almost every weekend, and have for the past 10yrs. if you are spinning that bad i'd bet you'll see 1-2mph slower traps on a clean run.

without a 4000+rpm launch and hook you'll never see the short times to run anywhere better than 13s at your weight and power level. the way the car sits with some slicks and 1.8 short time will get you mid 13s, possibly low 13s if you can drive. either way, atleast you have a dyno sheet that shows it makes power.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Lee12609 said:
spinning always makes ET lower and trap higher, if you dont believe me keep going to the track. i go almost every weekend, and have for the past 10yrs. if you are spinning that bad i'd bet you'll see 1-2mph slower traps on a clean run.

without a 4000+rpm launch and hook you'll never see the short times to run anywhere better than 13s at your weight and power level. the way the car sits with some slicks and 1.8 short time will get you mid 13s, possibly low 13s if you can drive. either way, atleast you have a dyno sheet that shows it makes power.
I could live with mid-low 13s, that was actually my goal with the car, 12s was the goal if I ever decided to do a power adder. As said, I daily drive this car, it's not a pure track car, so doing extreme weight reductions(AC delete, interior panels etc) is not in the question. I'll see what I do with slicks next month then next spring see what suspension work does, will be a good "guinea pig" project to show the improvement a good suspension will make.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online

No members online now.