Numbers from dyno are in...

Lee12609

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
Everything I've ever seen leans towards if the calibration is correct though the MD will read lower than the DJ.

yeah, if both are calibrated correctly, the mustang dyno will always read lower, but you'd be very surprised how far out of calibration most are.

Lee12609

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
is it that they're out of calibration or is it the user not entering the correct data for the vehicle?

i'm talking calibration alone, operator error is another problem in itself.

MustangMoser

Reaction score
How do you know when a dyno is calibrated correctly? I know hp and tq are supposed to cross at 5200 rpm right?

Lee12609

Reaction score
you dont know, its just like a wheel balancer out of calibration, you cant tell. or a wheel alignment machine.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Lee12609 said:
i dont recommend suspension as quickly as most do. how hard do you plan on launching the car? there are people pulling 1.5 60' times on STOCK suspension. its an excuse for bad times in my opinion.

It all depends on track prep and conditions. Just b/c one guy pull a 1.5 does not mean everyone else can. And that was with something along the lines of an ET Street or full slick.

Better tires + suspension is the best way to lower your 60' time. Not for hopes of a track that is preped so well that you will cut a 1.5 on stock suspension. That is the exception not the norm. I was cutting on avg of 1.9 to 1.8's on MT Radials and when I went with full slicks and lower control arms from Maxium Motorsports my 60's dropped to 1.66. Your going to need better tires thats a given and I would suggest at least a good set of LCA's. But more then anything though get more practice in at the track. That will lower your tiems more then any other mod and its only the cost of admission. The very first run w/ my current car (after not going to the track for years) was a 14.2. With the addition of 3.73's and MT Radials it dropped to a 12.7 and with going more to the track. You dont need a detroit locker either

Lee12609

Reaction score
castine917 said:
does that mean dyno pulls for power readings are pointless?

no, it gives you a good idea of where you are. the graphs should be the same regardless of calibration, just higher/lower, so you still learn where your peak is and see the actual curve.

venom you are right, i just think its funny when people pulling 2.1 or higher short times think its suspension. any stock suspension car can easily pull 1.9s on an ET street, so anyone not pulling 1.9-2.0 should be worried about tire before suspension. the right set of lower control arms will plant the tire, but without grip planting it isnt going to help. i say track specific tires, then see if suspension is needed, most of the time (street/daily driven cars) wont reap much reward for the money spent on "track" suspension....

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I agree, Im just saying every track is different and traction varies a lot between them. I got to walk the surface of my local track a few weeks ago. They let people on it after a jet car event and I was kinda shocked at how unsticky it really was. I was expecting my shoe to come off but it was not even close and that was an event night where they were running 6 and 7 second cars all night. Ive heard lots of stories of people walking across the track surface and having their shoe come off. There are lots of people that can cut good times on street tires and nittos (which are considered the worse track tire out there, the old ones) but thats with the proper prep and the right suspension set up as well

Lee12609

Reaction score
if your track has motorcycles running then its easy to tell if the starting line is sticky, they will have just a toe on the ground.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online