Opinion on new tire

Dr Fildo

Reaction score
I need suggestions for a new tire. I have a bone stock '95 GT vert. I am running the original size 245/45 ZR17 tire on the original rims. In fact, I am running the original style GoodYear Eagle GT Gatorback directional tire that came on the car from the factory in 1995. They haven't made that tire in 15 years, and up until this point, I have been lucky in finding one when I need it from warehouses around the U.S. But I'm out of luck so I need a suggestion on a new tire that will have a similar appearance, performance, and not cost $300.00. I don't want to buy a set of 4 or even 2 if I can help it.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
BFG Sport comp 2 is what i am running Discount tire direct i got them for 121.00 each shipped to my door before my discount.

I miss those gatorbacks sucha great tire...... grip was good, wear was good, price was good..... the sport comp 2 are just as good with the grip ... not sure about the wear yet

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I suggest hitting up TireRack.com or DiscountTire.com and looking at what's available in your size. There are a lot of decent brands: Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, Coopertires, Good Year, Hankook, Kumho, Nitto, etc. Tirerack does a good job of rating the tires. Pick out a couple that you like and ask for experience/opinions on those specific tires.

I have personally used Nitto, Hankook and BF Goodrich. I liked each of them. I currently have Nitto NT05's on my Mustang, and Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 on my STI. They are both very affordable tires, serve different purposes, and I am quite happy with them.

I have found that, within a manufacturer, they can have a good tire and a bad tire. Meaning budget passenger car tire A from Kumho could be terrible, whereas performance/sport driving passenger tire B from Kumho could be the hot setup. It just depends. Also check out the reviews on TireRack and DiscountTire.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Discount tire direct.... no tax and discount tires will mount and balance them (have to pay for it regardless)

Boomer8404

Reaction score
If you are still looking for a replacement tire, I highly recommend the BFGoodrich SportComp 2's. Awesome tires, great performance dry and wet. I have to wana push it to break the tires loose in the dry, and I was very surprised at the wet traction these tires have, and for they money, they are an awesome choice over some of the other more pricey brands. Plus, the size range is available to meet factory original specs. When I got mine (from Discount Tire & I got a $50 rebate), I didn't want staggered width, and went with the 94-95 Cobra spec of 255/45 r17, bang for the buck is unbeatable, you won't be disappointed if you go with SportComp 2's!