P0190 and loss of fuel pressure

mineralgreygt

Reaction score
So having a bit of a head scratcher and was hoping for some insight here, I have a 02 mustang v2 supercharged using a division X stryker fuel pump and a JMS BAP. I have been running this setup for about a year and a half. I was sitting at a red light when the car started falling flat on its face, pulled into a parking lot but had to restart the car multiple times because it kept dying out. I could get to start but as soon as I would put a load on it or let it idle for more than a minute it would stall out. Scanned for codes and came up with a P0190, was able to locate another sensor locally, non motorcraft part. Swapped it out issue seemed to be resolved, took it for a spin anything above 4k RPM she would cut out, now I drove through a little bit of a rain storm before hand but it dried up figured maybe I sucked up some water no biggie. Other than it cutting out seemed to be driving just fine.

Next day take for a spin with the new sensor and P0190 again and shes loosing pressure under load especially 3rd gear and up. sinking down to 10psi and lower at anything above 3K RPM using my phone and a OBDII blue tooth dongle. Limped it home let it sit.

Next day I sit in the car and I always listen for the pump to prime with the key on the run position but this time its priming super slow like 3 seconds and also a different pitch to the whine, I assumed the pump was going south, so then I tried a couple more times and nothing couldn't get the pump to whine at all and or the engine to start.

Dropped the tank today put 12v directly to the pump and it kicks on no problem every single time. I thought it maybe the relay in the passenger kick panel but if I put my ear to it I can hear the relays clicking. Should I still rule out a bad pump or is this something else? Maybe the BAP is causing a weird issue? but the BAP uses a hobbs switch which doesnt kick on until 3-4psi

OP
OP
mineralgreygt

mineralgreygt

Reaction score
I did some more diagnosing and I filled my gas tank up a bit more and recorded how the pump was running with 12V going to it, not sure if it's running as intended? I have a dual cobra pump assembly in going throw in later today and do some comparing, Here's a video https://youtu.be/QPxzwpSfOcs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ya know just for shits and giggles I would swap out those yellowed crimp caps for a good soldered connection. It could be causing some resistance and slowing things down. Crimp caps are acceptable inside the car or anywhere that will stay dry but other then that solder is the way to go.

OP
OP
mineralgreygt

mineralgreygt

Reaction score
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/#/topics/632393

Op asked the same question on modded and it looks like he swapped out the fuel pump and all is well now.

Sorry guys, yes as stated above a new pump solved the problem, also with the new setup driving like a maniac with a 1/4 tank of gas doesnt lean out because there's no holes in the basket, the whole drilling holes in the basket thing is totally wrong and is part of the problem when being boosted and driving like a maniac with a 1/4 tank or less the car leaning out and loosing fuel pressure. Best bang for buck for under 500whp that walbaro pump setup is, its the exact same thing as the BBK pump assembly on Americanmuscle but half the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online