P1443 Problems. Again.

Jutting

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been a lurker here and noticed this forum is generally pretty helpful so i'm hoping you guys can help me on this. First off let me say that I have spent a bit of time searching and cannot find my specific problem.

A few months ago my car threw code P1443 at me. I read up on it, found that the most common fixes are the canister purge valve and the thing next to it (name is escaping me sorry) so I replaced these.

http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...g/1997/8-cylinders-x-4-6l-sfi/184293_0_18278/

http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...ng/1997/8-cylinders-x-4-6l-sfi/31577_0_12209/

Andddd now the code is back. Also, not sure if this is related, but every once in a while I notice that I smell unburnt fuel. Not sure if this is a separate problem, but it is intermittent. Any thoughts help! Thanks! :wave:

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Our cars are at an age where the plastics and rubbers are deteriorating. You may have to replace these. Im thinking there is a rubber grommet on the fuel tank that involves the evap and it junks out needing a replacement. Iirc,...

Zethioth

Reaction score
Just had my car to the dealer twice for this code after trying everything.mended up being a faulty solenoid I got from a junk car. Finally got it figured out, hope I can share my knowledge.

Possible Causes:
Hoses
Purge Solenoid
Purge Flow Sensor
Vapor Canistor

These cars are 20 years old, if the Vapor purge hoses haven't been changed, it's good practice to do so. You will need to jack up the front passenger side, remove the wheel, and remove the inner fender cover to access the Vapor Canister and the many deteriorated hoses you will likely find. While down there, examine the Vapor Canister for cracks, as this can cause leaks. Replace bad hoses.

If you have a vacuum pump, you can apply vacuum to the Purge Solenoid to test if it seals, then turn the key on, the computer should supply ground to the solenoid and it should open. If it doesn't, Test the solenoid and verify the ground circuit for the computer.

The flow sensor can be back probed on the signal wire. You should see a change of voltage if you blow through it.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I remember had to replace the sensor that ran into between two hoses, it was small and got rid of my code. I realized this when I got my purge flow sensor replaced like 3 times and it didn't do anything. This was like 6-7 years ago.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's a open or closed circuit? Or is it more complicated than that? I've had this code forever and I don't even have a canister anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online