Painting taillights

riored4v

Reaction score
I think the previous owner replaced the tailights with a newer pair and these ones don't have the painted bezel. I want to take them off and paint them, but I'm curious where the best place to buy some matching OEM spray paint would be?

Pic for reference:

0225151739 by riored4v, on Flickr

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Your best option would be to take it to a professional since taping around all those corners can be a PITA and you will get the best quality look.

If you just want to do it quickly/cheaply you can probably find a duplicolor ford black spray can at your local autoparts store. Another option would to be spray them satin black so you dont have to worry about matching the blacks
He is mine that I just painted with some regular rustoleum satin black. If you do the lower valence in satin too it help tie it all together

DSC_0295 by matson_kyle, on Flickr

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Spray paint? Just go to a parts store and ask, they have "paint matched" rattle cans. Doing it the right way will need a trip to a paint shop.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
masking it off is a pain but just sit yourself down in front of your fav show with a beer and some tape and before you know it you will have it done. Scuff the area first with either some scotchbright or some 320 grit paper to help it get a grip. I would probably do a primer just to be sure you get the paint/primer thick enough that at night with the lights on you do not have any bleed through on areas that were not completely covered. Finally use a good quality clear and do a few good coats to make it last and give you enough to wet sand down if you choose or need too.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll check the local stores to see if they carry the Duplicolor option. If I can't find that then I'll probably go that satin black route like above. That actually looks better than I figured it would. I also figured I should use a primer or adhesion promoter as mentioned above due it being plastic pieces.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll check the local stores to see if they carry the Duplicolor option. If I can't find that then I'll probably go that satin black route like above. That actually looks better than I figured it would. I also figured I should use a primer or adhesion promoter as mentioned above due it being plastic pieces.
If the car is black (hard to tell from the pic if it's a dark color or black) then I'd just get a can of black spray paint, either matte or gloss, and spray them that way. Cheaper option for the same outcome if you're going with spray paint. The color matched cans are more expensive and our car's black is just black, no metallic, so there's no need to spend more.

Spraying with a gun is a different story.

rikkytm

Reaction score
I think matte would look good and give a nice contrast.

OP
OP
R

riored4v

Reaction score
If the car is black (hard to tell from the pic if it's a dark color or black) then I'd just get a can of black spray paint, either matte or gloss, and spray them that way. Cheaper option for the same outcome if you're going with spray paint. The color matched cans are more expensive and our car's black is just black, no metallic, so there's no need to spend more.

Spraying with a gun is a different story.

Yea, it's just the factory black.

I'm almost leaning towards the matte/satin option to avoid having to do a clear coat lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the clear coat is to help the paint last even if you went satin I would just go with a satin clear on top or you might end up painting them again later. Its not like you have to remask anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online