Paul's Fox Body Restoration Build (Updated 11.29.14 - We Have Fuel Pressure)

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
So while it's not enormous progress, it's progress nonetheless. My buddy Ryan came by sort of on a whim last night and we swapped the drums out for my Cobra brakes that have been sitting around for a couple years. The drums were seriously fucked up with all kinds of broken springs and whatnot in there and leaking wheel cylinders, so it's good to have these swapped out.

I left the diff cover off because I need to paint the aftermarket one I bought used, and I need to find out what fluid and friction modifier goes in there. Anyone know off the top of their head?

The setup is:
- Stock '03 Cobra brakes
- North Racecars brackets
- new OEM rotors
- Hawk HPS pads
- Maximum Motorsports lines
- new OEM Ford anti-moan brackets

Anyway, here they are!

Old: (I didn't have a great pic, but here's one with some 315s I was test fitting)
FR500Wheels.jpg

New:
RearBrakesInstalled.jpg

RearBrakesInstalled2.jpg

Yay!

Paul.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet deal Paul. I'm going to cry when that thing hits the road and gets dirt under it haha!

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I really like your garage floor. I hope to have a floor like that in the future. So pretty.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I spent some time in the garage today. Got the long wheelstuds pressed in to match the fronts, re-installed the axles, cleaned up the diff cover and got some new bolts for it. Turns out that after scraping all the black silicone away from the axle housing where my "missing" bolt was, it wasn't missing at all. It was broken off in the cast iron center section. :| Since that's pretty much par for the course with this POS car, I made a feeble attempt at drilling it out and using a back-out, which of course didn't work. Now I just have a larger hole that still won't take a bolt. Fuck it, I put the diff cover back on with 9 bolts instead of 10. We'll see if it leaks. Fuck this car.

NewWheelstuds.jpg

AxleSealedUp.jpg

Paul.

Slykin

Reaction score
Meh, it's just one bolt what could go wrong? Ha. Well, everything else looks pretty much sexy.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
So, it's been three months since I worked on the car last while I waited for the heat to subside.

Richard came by today and we worked on some stuff. Got the following done:
- new power window motors
- new door lock solenoids
- new door strikers
- re-installed battery box now that the sound deadening is in the trunk\
- installed fuel tank

Had a few adventures today. The door handles were held on with nuts and bolts instead of rivets, and the sheetmetal beneath the driver door handle was all bent to hell. Pounded that flat and re-installed the door handles with pop rivets just like factory. Before we put the gas tank into place, we couldn't figure out why the fuel line wouldn't mate up. Turns out the pickup tube size from the '94+ cars has a larger fuel line - so just swapped that for one of my spares from a foxbody and everything went together easy. I'm using the tank from the Unicorn because it has a awesome sump that I can use someday if I ever go to an aftermarket fuel system. New door strikers went on okay, and driver door closes pretty well. Passenger door is sagging quite a bit and still doesn't close very well. It's a big job, but I bought new door pins/bushings for the hinges that should reduce or correct the problem. That will be a real pain the ass, but I want the car to be as "tight" as it can be for an old POS car.

With the cool weather coming, I'm going to try to carve out some more time to keep plugging away at the car. I still have a bunch of stuff to do in the doors: window channels, guides, some bushings, more sound deadener, basically I want absolutely everything in the doors to be brand new.

Little by little.

Paul.

Slykin

Reaction score
If your friend helps out the door pins shouldn't be too terrible.. I did the whole pair of hinges on my old red car by myself. Granted, it wasn't a perfect job.

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
Glad to see some progress. After you bought your new 5.0, I was expecting your next thread to be "Sold" lol.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet Paul, glad you still have the fever :) I really need to see this car one day. Possibly my favorite notch.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
you have any ETA for it, Paul?

Nope. Given that the build has been running for five years now, I stopped giving ETAs a long time ago. :)

Glad to see some progress. After you bought your new 5.0, I was expecting your next thread to be "Sold" lol.

Nah. It doesn't cost me anything except $20 a month in insurance, so I don't really care. The new 5.0 is a way better car though. I just like the nostalgia of the notch, and that it's really "my car" because of all the work I've put it in it. Plus, I like to think it'll be a little different than your run-of-the-mill clean notch.

Sweet Paul, glad you still have the fever :) I really need to see this car one day. Possibly my favorite notch.

Thanks man. It's definitely not even close to the nicest of cars, but it's mine. At the end of the day, it's still an old POS rattle trap.

Paul.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree, bet it's tighter than my car when its done :) I'll take a road trip to find out haha! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online