pi heads on a 4v block?

aarons_4six

Reaction score
i may have found a 2001 aluminum cobra block, only reason i would want to get it is to shave wieght like most would. ive seen people asking on other forums if 4v heads will go on a 2v block, so can it be reversed? and whats the difference between this and the teksid blocks?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
BAD TECH EDITED :::: Duff Daddy

Double edit: my casting numbers did pull back a 1997 crown vicrotia.

OP
OP
A

aarons_4six

Reaction score
i figured they would bc all the modular shops say to specify 2/3/4v when ordering and it seems you could configure it anyway. just tryin to make sure

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Its not this easy. Go find a block out of an explorer with 2v heads already on it. Look at my build..... that is a 99 cobra block. I am just now getting to the wtf do i do about timing parts....

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you know the difference between the blocks and can get the timing parts then it is easy. I have a Teksid from a 96 Cobra for my 2V build. I had to drill a water passage in the block that 2V heads have and 4V's don't but that is no big deal as when you lay down the driver side head gasket its clear where you need to do it. The timing mounting is different on the 4V Teksids then a 2V iron but I was lucky to have a knowledgeable Ford Parts guy who had done the swap himself and hooked me up with the correct dowels etc that are needed for the 2V timing parts.

Duff you having issues? I could try and find my part #'s if you need them to source parts.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
yea basically after talking to 4 factorystock guys, a few nmra modular muscle guys 2 builders and an NMCA Mean Street guy, oh and Mike Bell, we all decided the 2v chains work, and 4v guides, tensioners ect. I need the special pins...

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
Its not this easy. Go find a block out of an explorer with 2v heads already on it. Look at my build..... that is a 99 cobra block. I am just now getting to the wtf do i do about timing parts....

are all 02-05 4.6L Explorer blocks the same?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
Duff Daddy said:

For the most part yes, if they are 2v's I believe there was a year in there (not sure when, i dont use or claim to know anythign about wap blocks) when they went 3v with vvt. obviously that wouldnt work.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
yea basically after talking to 4 factorystock guys, a few nmra modular muscle guys 2 builders and an NMCA Mean Street guy, oh and Mike Bell, we all decided the 2v chains work, and 4v guides, tensioners ect. I need the special pins...

Yea I just PM'd that, you need the screw in pins that only the aluminum Teksids have. If you ever run across Randy Stinchcolmb on your tour of tracks pick his brain. He ran a 96 2V NA back in the day with the Teksid and many different combos.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
Duff Daddy said:

I think its 02-04 that had the 2V 4.6, did the 05 have a V8 option and was it a 3V if it did hmmmmmmmmm :)

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
atlanticblue98 said:
Duff Daddy said:

I think its 02-04 that had the 2V 4.6, did the 05 have a V8 option and was it a 3V if it did hmmmmmmmmm :)

that body style lasted from 02-05, the 06+ have 3v's

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
doesnt matter they could and prob would still toss in the new motor for the same year as the mustang.....chrysler has done it before (left the 5.9 in the first year of the br trucks when that same body style carries the hemi motor till today)

Id have to look but they switched somewhere in there. Waps make life way easier if you can get one.

Oh and you will need a different timing cover, your iron block 2v wont work.

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
doesnt matter they could and prob would still toss in the new motor for the same year as the mustang.....chrysler has done it before (left the 5.9 in the first year of the br trucks when that same body style carries the hemi motor till today)

Id have to look but they switched somewhere in there. Waps make life way easier if you can get one.

Oh and you will need a different timing cover, your iron block 2v wont work.

the 06+ got the 3v

i know that 02-05 V8 Explorers had 4.6L 2v's

maybe i should rephrase my question, are all Explorer 2V's the same?

OP
OP
A

aarons_4six

Reaction score
yeah i went and did some research and it seems the 1L2E block came in a few cars, the cobra, maruader, but only 2v was the explorer n some expeditions. wonder how easily available they are, and i guess they'll bolt right to a t45?

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
yes they are all wap blocks.

(making mental note for future plans in years to come)
300px-718smiley.svg.png

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
atlanticblue98 said:
Duff Daddy said:

300px-718smiley.svg.png

wap blocks are a little weaker but have more external bracing then a factory teksid. also are ALOT harder to find. ut are more based off a windsor platform for all intensive purposes and building.

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
atlanticblue98 said:
Duff Daddy said:

300px-718smiley.svg.png

wap blocks are a little weaker but have more external bracing then a factory teksid. also are ALOT harder to find. ut are more based off a windsor platform for all intensive purposes and building.

how much weaker are we talkin'?

what's the power limits for both?

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
per shm
rates the teksid over 1000 and the wap 800 (round numbers) Nothing you would experience, also i believe the wap is a pound or 2 lighter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online