PI intake

93PGT

Reaction score
with my longtubes in the mail. I am about to buy a pi intake. I have read that you must also buy a new alt. bracket and lower coolant hose, and some RVT as well. the intake i am about to buy comes with the lower coolant hose injectors stock TB all that. so it will just go on. and my 96 has an updated npi intake with the aluminum X-over. would I have to buy a new bracket? or are all aluminum X-over alt brackets the same? what am i missing. this is my DD and it cant be down to long. thanks

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
93PGT said:
with my longtubes in the mail. I am about to buy a pi intake. I have read that you must also buy a new alt. bracket and lower coolant hose, and some RVT as well. the intake i am about to buy comes with the lower coolant hose injectors stock TB all that. so it will just go on. and my 96 has an updated npi intake with the aluminum X-over. would I have to buy a new bracket? or are all aluminum X-over alt brackets the same? what am i missing. this is my DD and it cant be down to long. thanks

first of all, if that updated NPI intake is a ford part, you have it made. you wont have to buy the alternator bracket, you will be able to reuse your NPI one, all you have to do is swap over the crossover from the NPI to the PI intake (6 bolts under the manifold). this way you dont even have to drill and tap for that extra coolant sensor.

if the intake you are about to buy comes with the fuel rails and injectors, its not going to work perfectly, you will still need to swap over the fuel rails at the very least (injectors are the same, fuel rails are different). throttle body and plennum are the same throughout the years, so you can reuse that too.

so to recap, if the NPI manifold you have is a ford part, you will need to buy:
1) PI coolant nipple (need to remove water pump, hammer the old one out, tap the new one in. this is the nipple where the return tube plugs into)
2) PI coolant return tube. its the coolant hose that goes under the intake.
3) PI intake manifold gaskets, preferably 99-01. these have a slightly larger hole for the coolant passages so it doesnt block the flow too much.
4) RTV to make sure you get a good seal around the front (passanger side) and rear (drivers side) coolant ports
and thats it.

OP
OP

93PGT

Reaction score
reivaxtorres said:
93PGT said:

first of all, if that updated NPI intake is a ford part, you have it made. you wont have to buy the alternator bracket, you will be able to reuse your NPI one, all you have to do is swap over the crossover from the NPI to the PI intake (6 bolts under the manifold). this way you dont even have to drill and tap for that extra coolant sensor.

if the intake you are about to buy comes with the fuel rails and injectors, its not going to work perfectly, you will still need to swap over the fuel rails at the very least (injectors are the same, fuel rails are different). throttle body and plennum are the same throughout the years, so you can reuse that too.

1) PI coolant nipple (need to remove water pump, hammer the old one out, tap the new one in. this is the nipple where the return tube plugs into)
3) PI intake manifold gaskets, preferably 99-01. these have a slightly larger hole for the coolant passages so it doesnt block the flow too much.
4) RTV to make sure you get a good seal around the front (passanger side) and rear (drivers side) coolant ports
and thats it.

(and my npi intake must be ford, replaced due to recall)

OK, thankyou very much. but where can I order the PI coolant nipple? could I go to the ford dealership and buy the gaskets and nipple at the same time? and i am prety sure that it aready comes with the coolant hose that goes under the manifold. if not, that the hose to. Is there a better place to buy the extra parts needed? and does 125-150 shipped sound like to much? THE INTAKE IS FROM A 2001. thanks

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
you can get everything threw the ford dealership for cheap, and theirs also a online ebay store that u can get parts from, just search for it. but the swap is easy. just make sure to pull the back two spark plugs and let them sit after you pull the old intake manifold off just incase coolant falls into those plug ports.. otherwise it sounds like you'll be good.. and don't think twice about the coolant deal, its literally happened to pretty much (pretty much) everyone on this forum that has tried it.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Willis_98GT said:
you can get everything threw the ford dealership for cheap, and theirs also a online ebay store that u can get parts from, just search for it. but the swap is easy. just make sure to pull the back two spark plugs and let them sit after you pull the old intake manifold off just incase coolant falls into those plug ports.. otherwise it sounds like you'll be good.. and don't think twice about the coolant deal, its literally happened to pretty much (pretty much) everyone on this forum that has tried it.

+1. just go to ford and order the coolant nipple and the gaskets, dont mention that you have a 96, just say you have a 2001 and you need the replacement parts. if you say you have a 96, they will go on for ever and ever trying to explain to you how it wont work (even tho about 90% of the people who have done the swap can prove it works. the other 10% use the adapter plates technique).

as for the spark plugs, yeah, its a good idea to pull them and dry up the spark plug holes. you can do what i did and just stick a few socks in each one so it soaks up the coolant that may spill. but do pay attention to the order of the spark plugs wires. i didnt have the coolant in the hole issue, i had the "im an idiot and swapped 2 of the wires" issue that was causing a misfire for a bit. :hammer:

oh, and yes, $125 shipped sounds like a very good deal.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
xsoutherngun89x said:
if he has a 98 he wont need the nipple(possibly) i know mine didnt need it

yeah, unless you get an early model 98, you dont need the nipple (early model = the 98 cars that have the holes for the strut tower brace), but he said he has a 96.

samsonhusky

Reaction score

and thats it.
Want to make sure i'm reading this right. So if the stock intake i have on a 96 already has the aluminum cross over it can be unbolted and bolted to my pi intake replacing the pi one ?

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I believe the aluminum crossovers are interchangeable, yes.

Way to use search, to kick an 11 year old thread!

PinkieT

Reaction score
Wish I had known that a few manifold purchases earlier! Learn something new every day...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The only thing I recommend about doing that is to be careful when you take it apart. I don’t think you can purchase the gaskets that go under that crossover.

samsonhusky

Reaction score
I will take the npi intake’s crossover off first to see how it goes before I try the pi one. 96blak54 if i mess the gasket up I will definitely be in touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online