Pinging that I can't solve.

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
Well, my motor sounds like paint cans.

On my 96gt (111,000miles), I can't give it any gas or it sounds like marbles in the motor. I've tried seafoam about 4 times, did FI cleaner, sprayed out the maf, put in some gas moisture remover and still no improvement.

I bumped up to 89oc and it still does it. Then I tried 93oc and it doesn't do it nearly as much, but every once in a while I'll still hear it.

What else can I do? Is there anything that I can manually clean out (like on the cobras the imrc's can be cleaned)..? I have new plugs - motorcraft gapped right, and a clean air filter.. I can't think of anything else..

What can I do!

EThorpe

Reaction score
Sounds like a Timing problem or possible LEAN mixture problem too me.

Better check your timing, also could be an EGR problem(dumping all the time?). Try looking into that stuff and get back to us.

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
How do I deal with the timing on the 4.6? Do I need a tuner to do it or something, because it's all in the computer, correct?

Also, what should I check as far as the egr goes? (is there even an egr on the 4.6? I thought we had something else instead of that..?)

How do I check my a/f ratio or know if it's lean or not..?

Thanks

EThorpe

Reaction score
Not to be mean or anything, but take it to a shop, your basic knowledge of the modern Ford ECU controlled combustion engine is not up to a decent standard. :(

You could really @#$% it up.

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
EThorpe said:
Not to be mean or anything, but take it to a shop, your basic knowledge of the modern Ford ECU controlled combustion engine is not up to a decent standard. :(

You could really @#$% it up.

Right, but still no harm in trying to learn either. Gotta start that somewhere too!

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah id take it into a shop and get them to bump down your timing like 2 degrees or so, if adding higher octaine helped then thats more then likely the problem. But why not just add higher octaine fuel, if you dont want to fork out the cash get it bumped down but you will lose a bit of power possibly (nothing tooo noticable)

EThorpe

Reaction score
What did the old plugs look like? Were they white? All? or just some?

The reason why you need to check the base timing is to see if it's stable at idle, and if advances when you snap the throttle.(yes it's controlled by the computer, but this will/or might give you a direction to fallow, such as crank/TPS ect... sensors). Also be aware of vacum leaks, lines/EGR/Cracked Manifold ect..

What you really need to do is Buy a Chilton book(#26608) or repair manual of some sort, DO NOT dig into a 4.6 without a basic knowledge please.

97vertstang

Reaction score
any dtcs??? i think its more of a vacuum leak?? it shouldnt be pinging with 89 octane.if it is u have something wrong.does the engine shake or do anything else thats not normal???a diagnostics computer will tell u a lot.

ALITL8

Reaction score
97vertstang said:
any dtcs??? i think its more of a vacuum leak?? it shouldnt be pinging with 89 octane.if it is u have something wrong.does the engine shake or do anything else thats not normal???a diagnostics computer will tell u a lot.

our 97 has NEVER liked 87 octane. pinged on the stuff when it was new, of course thats only when you got in the pedal. we only run premium fuel... 91-93 octane. yes its more expensive but the higher octane will help prevent predetonation (pinging). we had this discussion when the board first opened up.

97vertstang

Reaction score
i run 91 octane in the beginning than 89 now 87. 3.29 a gallon for 87 here in cali. i will say the car feels faster with 91 but i never had pinging with 89 and 87 any kind of gas. :dunno: but it may just be me???

ALITL8

Reaction score
ours doesnt like the low grade fuel so i just dont run it. i had a 280ZX that was the same way... ran like a scalded ass ape but hated the lower octane fuels :dunno:

ALITL8

Reaction score
im sorry i didnt read the whole post... got in on the discussion but didnt offer any help.

have you checked/changed the oil lately? the higher octane fuel should have fixed pinging. if it's not the oil and its not the fuel, i'd take it to a shop or a dealership to find out what the problem is. there is definitely something not right ???

98stalkercobra

Reaction score
What mods do u have on the car? and does the engine light come on or is it on? It sounds like a lean or a timming issue and u might have a 02 sensor problem or maybe even the MAF being bad totally!

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
As far as powertrain wise, I have a k&n full intake thingy, catted high-flow midpipe, and AT catback.. I'll be replacing the fuel filter tomorrow because I finally have time. I really think it may be that. After thinking about it, I never did change it out when I replaced the fuel pump OR after I replaced the shredded filler tube grommet. It might just be plugged up a bit!

And I don't have any check engine lights or anything like that..

98stalkercobra

Reaction score
if that dont change it u might put a FP gauge on it and see were you are at it really seems like its a lean problem but i could be wrong my 96 was the same way!

EThorpe

Reaction score
Just checking in here MAXX? :dunno:

Hope we didn't run you off? Did you figure it out? Also was thinking about this thread, did you try the seafoam gigg? I could be a massive carbon build up too.

:dunno:

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
Actually things have been coming up and I havnt even been able to change the fuel filter yet. This whole past tank that I'm still on I havn't revved above about 2,300rpm so I can't say whether the pinging is still there or not.

I have done the seafoam thing about 4 times already.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online