Plasti-Dip ...YES or NO?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Idk Tony, some of these dipped cars look amazing. And the main reason for it instead of paint is because it's easily reversible. Some people like to change up the look of their cars often and this is a relatively cheap and fast way to do it, plus when applied right it can last quite a long time.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I look it like vinyl stripes that yea its ok but its not going to get the respect of an actual paint job will ever get. People that need to change their cars up that often to have a removable paint job, idunno its just a desperate cry for attention while not being willing to put the time in to get it. Seems as much of a waste your girl getting her nails done regularly.... You know its not going to last, sure you can do it again and always change it but my motto is do it right do it once....

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well I've looked at the same color Mustang for 11 years, for a couple hundred bucks I could change it up and have a little fun with it, what's wrong with that? It's also a good way to protect your paint and be a little different. If/when I get my car painted it's going to be black again, but I don't know when that's going to be so why not have a little fun with it in the meantime?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Nom nom nom--
43170d1346792903-plasti-dipping-my-car-finally-blue-plasti-dip.jpeg

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
^lol! that does look pretty slick. but the mind says temporary! just a new fad that i cant get into. and i get into new shit! lol..

something to be said about a quality paint job that is well taken care of vs. a rattle can of temporary removable spray paint. i know price plays a factor. i just would'nt bother until i could gather the funds for a quality paint.

Sinned83

Reaction score
To each his own. Anyone can pick something out about a car They don't like but in the end it not theirs. It's your ride be you.

edit: btw I don't think it works on that caddy

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with it. I am not going to give anyone any unnecessary shtuff/razzing about it anymore then I would, well anyone about anything.... I am just saying that the conversation can go two ways.

me - "Hey man new paint?!"
you - "Yea just got it done looks good huh?"

Me - "Hey man new paint?!"
You - "No its just plastidip I didn't want to do anything perminant and wanted to be able to change it up later as well as WHA WHA WHAA WHAA WHAAA."

Which conversation would you rather have?

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Plasti-dip is great! till It eats your clearcoat...

No but really, I work for an autobody supply company, and that's the word on the street. It peeled the paint off my pony wheels too...

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with it. I am not going to give anyone any unnecessary shtuff/razzing about it anymore then I would, well anyone about anything.... I am just saying that the conversation can go two ways.

You - "No its just plastidip I didn't want to do anything perminant and wanted to be able to change it up later as well as WHA WHA WHAA WHAA WHAAA."

lmao @ whaa whaa!!!! charlie brown teacher voice or crying baby? i like charlie browns teacher voice!

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I've played with it and I love it. I'm about to dip my whole beater matte white. I'm pumped about that. On my BMW I've dipped all the chrome and even the shift knob, and it holds up surprisingly well. I've only had to redo the shift knob once in a year. My buddy did have bad results with his S13 240SX though. He went to peel it off and the paint came off in a complete sheet with it. So be careful and try a small spot first.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've heard people say it hurts the paint but I'm not quick to believe it. These guys are dipping very expensive cars, you'd think if that happened often they would, idk, stop doing it.

something to be said about a quality paint job that is well taken care of vs. a rattle can of temporary removable spray paint. i know price plays a factor. i just would'nt bother until i could gather the funds for a quality paint.

most cars are sprayed with actual paint guns, not rattle cans. they come out a lot more even and smooth than from the can. The important thing to remember is this is not usually used as a substitute for a good paint job.

you worry too much about what other people think.

hey man new paint? no it's plastidip, it's actually a protective coating that gives the car a new look and attitude, and whenever you're sick of it you can just peel it right off, cool huh?

oh you don't like it? good it's not your car, **** yourself.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I too have been hearing of problems here/there with it myself. Either making small pits in the clear or taking paint off with it when it came off. I know I know I know they say it can't/won't/never did but I too have heard of a couple of people, outside of this forum, that have had issues as well.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
is this happening on cars that are old/not well cared for/not well painted by chance? Or was the dip left on the car like 5 years in the direct sun for 24 hours/day? I'd be interested to see the cars and damage caused by it.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
lets be honest onyx! you will be hard pressed to find anyone with a quality paint job in great condition run out and plasti-dip the car. just about everyone that does this is just doing it simply to hide shitty paint. therefore i say fix your paint! fuuk a bunch of covering it with cheap ass rattle can plasti crap, lol.

same thing with wheels. when the finish starts to go bad...just plasti dip. naaaaahhh....just refinish or replace!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thought it was $3-400 min to do an entire car? Do that a few times and you could have got yourself an ok paint job. Take that and save a little more and it just seems more worth it too me. But it takes different strokes fer different folks. I would never say anything bad about you dippin your car I just say its not for me.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
lets be honest onyx! you will be hard pressed to find anyone with a quality paint job in great condition run out and plasti-dip the car. just about everyone that does this is just doing it simply to hide shitty paint. therefore i say fix your paint! fuuk a bunch of covering it with cheap ass rattle can plasti crap, lol.

same thing with wheels. when the finish starts to go bad...just plasti dip. naaaaahhh....just refinish or replace!

There are tons of people out there with brand new cars with perfect paint plasti dipping their cars. People do it for a inexpensive way to change the look of their car with the capability or returning it back to stock. I had my wheels white for a while just for a change and now they just the way they were before

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score

actually I think you'd be surprised, most cars that are dipped have perfectly good paint jobs under them. Even exotics get dipped. wheels are the same story, most people are dipping good wheels just to change the look.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thought it was $3-400 min to do an entire car? Do that a few times and you could have got yourself an ok paint job. Take that and save a little more and it just seems more worth it too me. But it takes different strokes fer different folks. I would never say anything bad about you dippin your car I just say its not for me.

just the paint is anywhere from 60-90 a gallon (pre-thinned) depending on color and the effects you want to give it (pearl, metalizer, glossifier) and it usually takes 3-4 gallons for a car so it's not bad at all if you're doing it yourself.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
My buddy's car had a crappy paint job that was already peeling a little, so that's why it peeled off. But I wouldn't think it would do damage on a good/OEM paintjob.

GT Rob

Reaction score
I did the center of my hood and the roof with plastic dip. Only because they where fading

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online