Potential rear brake upgrade and it’s cheap too!

JoeAsheville

Reaction score
Finally was able to use this setup in an autocross setting and the results were good. I will report back later this month after a track day

How did this work out? Interestingly enough I also have a white 95 running in CAM-T that will be getting a pair of 00R calipers up front, but sticking with 13" rotors. I was wondering if it was worthwhile to also upgrade to the 43mm rears. Did you get enough seat time with the Brembo fronts/37mm rears to be able to compare with the Brembo fronts/43mm rears?

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
How did this work out? Interestingly enough I also have a white 95 running in CAM-T that will be getting a pair of 00R calipers up front, but sticking with 13" rotors. I was wondering if it was worthwhile to also upgrade to the 43mm rears. Did you get enough seat time with the Brembo fronts/37mm rears to be able to compare with the Brembo fronts/43mm rears?

The calipers have given me no trouble. The 13” rear rotors were a mistake and I dropped back down to stock sized rotors to shift brake bias. Worked like a champ. Been using Hawk HP+ pads up front and stock in the rear. That combo is really good.

As far as the 44/40 + 38 vs 44/40 + 43 goes, no. I threw it all together and started making mistakes LOL

Imo, I’d stick with the 38’s with a 13” front rotor.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Ha. Funny to find this here.

Those are pics from my car in the initial post. I did make a video later on because I got tons of questions on which part of the taurus caliper you use. I'll just leave it here for future use.

FYI, i have had a lot of folks reach out to me regarding Cardone remans. A coupel guys had rear caliper lockups on track with them, resulting in at least one guy totalling out his car. It's not the 43mm caliper that's the issue, but a piss-poor rebuild job which contributed to premature failure. Just keep an eye out for dragging caliper signs.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Ha. Funny to find this here.

Those are pics from my car in the initial post. I did make a video later on because I got tons of questions on which part of the taurus caliper you use. I'll just leave it here for future use.

FYI, i have had a lot of folks reach out to me regarding Cardone remans. A coupel guys had rear caliper lockups on track with them, resulting in at least one guy totalling out his car. It's not the 43mm caliper that's the issue, but a piss-poor rebuild job which contributed to premature failure. Just keep an eye out for dragging caliper signs.

Did I give credit to the right person? :eek:

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Did I give credit to the right person? :eek:

I wasn't upset or anything about it. I just got a kick out of seeing how far that info has spread.

I just saw the thread pop up on the recent threads list and clicked on it. All good don't sweat a thing.

Last edited:

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think im going to do this rear caliper swap . Since pulling the 13” rear rotors I haven’t liked how quick my car stops anymore granted it’s usually from 120mph plus

JoeAsheville

Reaction score
As far as the 44/40 + 38 vs 44/40 + 43 goes, no. I threw it all together and started making mistakes LOL

Imo, I’d stick with the 38’s with a 13” front rotor.

Yeah, that was the main question. I'll have it all apart over the winter getting ready for next year, and if the 43mm calipers provided an advantage I'd go with that. I think the 00R calipers were engineered to work specifically with the smaller rear calipers anyway so I'll leave as-is. I just wanted to ensure I wasn't leaving anything on the table that could be done while I was building the car.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Standard Cobra brakes and the 00R brakes were designed with the 38mm pistons in mind. I really wouldn’t mess with those setups and 43mm rear calipers.

Really the 43mm option is for folks who have gone beyond that, like 13” + ATS brembos or the 14” gt500 rotor + XTS brembos.

These are the XTS+ 14” rotors. No idea what this brake bias is with 43mm calipers

IMG_6063.jpeg

badass98svt

Reaction score
Standard Cobra brakes and the 00R brakes were designed with the 38mm pistons in mind. I really wouldn’t mess with those setups and 43mm rear calipers.

Really the 43mm option is for folks who have gone beyond that, like 13” + ATS brembos or the 14” gt500 rotor + XTS brembos.

These are the XTS+ 14” rotors. No idea what this brake bias is with 43mm calipers

View attachment 29787

I'm going to start collecting wheel spacers for next spring. Im not happy the 00R calipers won't fit behind the Cosmis XT-005, but I want to use the smallest spacer possible and even then I'm not sure I'm gonna like it. We shall find out come spring time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online