Potential rear brake upgrade and it’s cheap too!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
IMG_0519-D.jpg

This is a brake for a GT500 that weighs 4500 pounds, the rotors alone are 30 pounds each. I am limited to 150 on the front straight at Summit Point, I have not made it that fast YET.. but I am getting close in the 140's and it is the mass of the rotor that keeps the system from cooking to death.
Nobody wants the kit when the shipping cost is figured out.
IMG_0529-D.jpg

This is stock Ford, look at how tight the fit is with this caliper.
have you checked greyhound shipping? They are the cheapest by far for heavy items.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And your price for that kit?
I have used Wilwood 6 piston kits front and rear on a Marauder and a Roadrunner..not cheap.
I know I am way over board for you all, but I have tried a lot of stuff and made a lot of mistakes. I am showing an extreme example with the stock GT 500 kit but it is all Ford and well designed. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's a good idea or needed but Mall crawlers are going to Mall. It is a good kit and looks killer with the matching wheels but a well set up PBR system with air ducts never faded on me and just needed the right pads for the heat produced. But pads are whole argument and there are many more manufactures to choose from.
This guy has given me the best info over time and has all the clipper sizes in his head!!!
https://www.zeckhausen.com

01yellercobra

Reaction score
IMG_6209-D.jpg

This is turn 11 coming on to the front straight with the PBR set up in the rain. With Conti rain tires I was the leader that day and got my ass kicked the next day when it was dry..
That is a kit of a GT40 I am leading, he had Avon slicks, not the right choice.
That car is right hand drive and the shifter was on the right side in the door???
Thats how the old GT40's were set up. I guess to keep the drivers shifting with the hand they're used to using. I'd be curious about the linkage used.

I've always told/been told the larger brake kits are for heat dissipation. Even an 11" can be made to stop great. But it'll only do it once or twice before fading. I'm sure the problem is exacerbated with a heavier car. One of the reasons the new GT500 has 16" rotors I imagine.

But then I'm just a canyon carver who's been thankful for 6 piston front calipers more than once.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like the Wilwood system because the rebuild kits are 10.00 and 40.00 for the car is cheap every time you race.

95opal

Reaction score
And your price for that kit?
I have used Wilwood 6 piston kits front and rear on a Marauder and a Roadrunner..not cheap.
I know I am way over board for you all, but I have tried a lot of stuff and made a lot of mistakes. I am showing an extreme example with the stock GT 500 kit but it is all Ford and well designed. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's a good idea or needed but Mall crawlers are going to Mall. It is a good kit and looks killer with the matching wheels but a well set up PBR system with air ducts never faded on me and just needed the right pads for the heat produced. But pads are whole argument and there are many more manufactures to choose from.
This guy has given me the best info over time and has all the clipper sizes in his head!!!
https://www.zeckhausen.com

I paid roughly the same price for the 14" 6pot wilwood kit that lmr has the gt500 kit listed for. If you know brake offsets you can piece together your own kit for a tad cheaper.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You all are comparing apples to oranges. All the other Brembo calipers are smaller pistons that are the same size in the calipers, look hard at the pics you have posted, Brembo makes lots of calipers that fit and you are thinking they are all the same. The real GT500 calipers are stamped FoMoCo on the back with IIRC 52mm piston and a 48mm piston. Look at this pic and you can see the pistons are differant sizes.
IMG_0826-D.jpg

Look real hard at the back, different size pistons, stainless cross over tubes not mild steel.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You all are comparing apples to oranges. All the other Brembo calipers are smaller pistons that are the same size in the calipers, look hard at the pics you have posted, Brembo makes lots of calipers that fit and you are thinking they are all the same. The real GT500 calipers are stamped FoMoCo on the back with IIRC 52mm piston and a 48mm piston. Look at this pic and you can see the pistons are differant sizes.
IMG_0826-D.jpg

Look real hard at the back, different size pistons, stainless cross over tubes not mild steel.

These have 44/40 Pistons!

95opal

Reaction score
IMG_0826-D.jpg

Everyone is comparing apples again your numbers are off.

Piston Diameters inches (mm)
07-12 GT500: 1.73, 1.57 (44, 40)
13-14 GT500: 1.50, 1.34, 1.18 (38, 34, 30)
2015 GT PP: 1.417, 1.417, 1.417 (36, 36, 36)

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You are right, but the early ones have the biggest pistons for the smallest rotors. Go to the Bob's racing website and tell me what the brake torque is per rotor diameter. The 2015 is odd having 3 x 36, all the same size, I was told that the different pistons prevent shudder and uneven wear?

95opal

Reaction score
You are right, but the early ones have the biggest pistons for the smallest rotors. Go to the Bob's racing website and tell me what the brake torque is per rotor diameter. The 2015 is odd having 3 x 36, all the same size, I was told that the different pistons prevent shudder and uneven wear?

With all things equal meaning caliper size, pads, ect a larger rotor will always have more braking torque. Change those variables and you can have a smaller rotor produce more braking toruqe.
The thing to remember is that the amount of braking force that is available is dependent upon a few things:
  • Tire traction
  • Brake disc sizes
  • Pad coefficient of friction
  • Caliper clamping force
  • Weight shift
  • Front/rear braking bias
Again all things equel a larger diameter rotor is always better.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
All good points..why did it take Ford so long-10 years to get where the super brakes are now? The math is easy and cast iron is cheap.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
All good points..why did it take Ford so long-10 years to get where the super brakes are now? The math is easy and cast iron is cheap.
My guess is financing? If you read John Coletti's "Iron Fist Lead Foot" on how the Terminator was birthed, you can see the uphill battle on getting that car to the level it was 15 years ago. I'm not surprised...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't think that ford was behind anyone. It wasn't all that long ago that paying thousands more for a brake system was just nearly nuts unless it was on an all out track car.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
The larger the piston, the more fluid it takes to push the piston the same stroke. You need to get a master cylinder that matches the caliper. If you don’t, you will use a lot of brake pedal travel to get the same stroke. It takes a larger bore master cylinder to keep pedal travel reasonable with larger caliper displacement.

Hypnotik

Reaction score
I'm not sure how useful this would be. I have the 14" Alcon brakes on the front and still lock up the stock rear calipers first on Baer Eradispeed rotors.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm not sure how useful this would be. I have the 14" Alcon brakes on the front and still lock up the stock rear calipers first on Baer Eradispeed rotors.

The larger the piston, the more fluid it takes to push the piston the same stroke. You need to get a master cylinder that matches the caliper. If you don’t, you will use a lot of brake pedal travel to get the same stroke. It takes a larger bore master cylinder to keep pedal travel reasonable with larger caliper displacement.

I have always been a little confused at how people just swap out one component of a brake system, normally the caliper and then say its better because the one piece is bigger. As he said if the master is not matched to the system after the caliper is swapped, while the rear still operate normally now since the fronts require a longer stroke the bias between the two is off now. Its one thing to throw a different exhaust on the car and it might make a little more or less power but if the brake system isn't matched up then idunno.....

Patientzero

Reaction score
It's how Roush delivered it from the factory, I'd assume they put the correct master cylinder on it.

"Hypnotik" is also me, lol. Sorry for the confusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995