Potential rear brake upgrade and it’s cheap too!

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I have the Baer 6P calipers on the front of my car. I didn't notice much, if any extra pedal movement. The car stops better with these calipers. I noticed it took a while for the cross hatch to go away on my rear rotors. So I'm guessing the rears aren't working as hard.

I do know my buddy with an 01 Cobra is jealous of how well my car stops compared to his.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I also have the 6p up front and the 4p out back but I went ahead and got the bear master cylinder as well so I knew it would all match.

photoracer18

Reaction score
One key thing on track cars is you never disable the ABS system unless its an absolutely crappy system (early GM) or the rules force you to (like American Sedan). Properly used its good for as much as a second a lap in the dry and way more in the wet.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
One key thing on track cars is you never disable the ABS system unless its an absolutely crappy system (early GM) or the rules force you to (like American Sedan). Properly used its good for as much as a second a lap in the dry and way more in the wet.

The question is, does the stock ECU control the ABS?

So, I removed my ABS pump because my new/used built 8.8 did not have any ABS reluctor rings in place with the addition of c-clip eliminators. Could always add them, Strange offers them, and then put the ABS pump back in place.

Found some pretty good information here:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/brakes/absDiagInfo.html

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes abs is separate from the ecu. From the little bit of research I put into it when I did mine, disabling the abs system is as easy as disabling the abs warning light in the dash with a switch. IIRC When it notices that the light is out the system is disabled as it can't warn you if there is an issue.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Anybody???
I don't see why it wouldn't. We did the rear Cobra brakes on my son's GT. Actually we did it to both his 98 and 99. We never swapped calipers, just thr brackets. So I would assume this will work too.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

If you have different sized wheels and tires from factory on your car then the abs is worthless. The 94-98 abs systems were so basic that any minor changes throws them off so horribly that they can’t compensate. Your better off working with a skilled driver to teach you how to properly pulse the pedal yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't. We did the rear Cobra brakes on my son's GT. Actually we did it to both his 98 and 99. We never swapped calipers, just thr brackets. So I would assume this will work too.

Every site I look at, the rear pads for 98 GTs and 98 Cobras are different. That's why I'm asking.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Where did you get brackets?

I got mine from a guy who was upgrading his turbo 'stang from 500 hp to 1,000 hp and sold me his old setup. I see a set of brackets on ebay right now. To do it right, you will also need the anti-moan brackets. LMR will sell you a complete kit with rotors but want $800 for it.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Every site I look at, the rear pads for 98 GTs and 98 Cobras are different. That's why I'm asking.
The difference is the Cobra pads are thinner to make room for the vented rotor. The outside shape is the same. If your GT pads have some miles on them chances are they'll work.

PinkieT

Reaction score
The difference is the Cobra pads are thinner to make room for the vented rotor. The outside shape is the same. If your GT pads have some miles on them chances are they'll work.

Thanks! I already did the conversion and have Cobra pads. I thought maybe the shape of the friction surface was different to match the larger rotor, but if it is only thickness I'm good to go. I'll check the local pull-a-part for cores, and if I do the swap to the Taurus caliper can put my nice powder coated calipers on my wife's GT. Only problem with that is then I'll have to pretty up the fronts to match!

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Thanks! I already did the conversion and have Cobra pads. I thought maybe the shape of the friction surface was different to match the larger rotor, but if it is only thickness I'm good to go. I'll check the local pull-a-part for cores, and if I do the swap to the Taurus caliper can put my nice powder coated calipers on my wife's GT. Only problem with that is then I'll have to pretty up the fronts to match!
Theres always the snowball effect.

PinkieT

Reaction score
There's always the snowball effect.

Yep. I can do whatever mods I want to my car - as long as I do the same to hers if she wants!. I lucked into my Cobra setup - got the front calipers/rotors and complete 3.73 Cobra rear axle, drilled and slotted rotors both ends, for less than a rear conversion kit for just the rear. Lucky for me she is a cruiser and didn't want the Cobra brake update.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Yep. I can do whatever mods I want to my car - as long as I do the same to hers if she wants!. I lucked into my Cobra setup - got the front calipers/rotors and complete 3.73 Cobra rear axle, drilled and slotted rotors both ends, for less than a rear conversion kit for just the rear. Lucky for me she is a cruiser and didn't want the Cobra brake update.
That's how my wife was with her 06 Mustang. We did some stuff to personalize it and stopped there. Thankfully she has no interest in modifying her car.

I got lucky with my Cobra brakes. I bought the brakes and a car came with them. :)

PinkieT

Reaction score
That's how my wife was with her 06 Mustang. We did some stuff to personalize it and stopped there. Thankfully she has no interest in modifying her car.

I got lucky with my Cobra brakes. I bought the brakes and a car came with them. :)

Lucky you! We got her car, and within a week bought an entire new black leather interior to replace the fugly two tone black/peanut butter. We went back to the seller to pick up a few missing pieces and ended up buying a set f staggered 18" FR500s he just got in. I've done lowering springs, rear control arms, style bar (ragtop), chin spoiler, strut brace, CAI, sequential taillights, smoke headlights, custom shifter that makes the auto look like a manual, trunk lid liner. She did the cosmetics - black out hood vents/side scoops/rear spoiler, interior paint, etc. and was second set of hands on the mechanical mods. I think she's done!

PinkieT

Reaction score
Rock Auto has PowerStop powder coated calipers with brackets for this swap, PN S4536, for $46.70 a pair plus $30 core charge and shipping. Tempting...

photoracer18

Reaction score
If you have different sized wheels and tires from factory on your car then the abs is worthless. The 94-98 abs systems were so basic that any minor changes throws them off so horribly that they can’t compensate. Your better off working with a skilled driver to teach you how to properly pulse the pedal yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally incorrect. The Bosch ABS system only reads relative wheel speed so the size of wheels and tires only has an effect if it's some kind of extreme stagger. And even then it's basically a 3 channel system with the rear combined and each front wheel separate.
As for driving I was a longtime instructor myself and during my time sponsored by Steeda my driving advisor was Boris Said and it was his opinion about ABS in Mustangs of that era. Driving with or without ABS requires a slightly different technique and I started out in my early days in cars without including a 66 GT-350 in SCCA B Production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online