Power seat question

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Old school way: wrench or maybe the ratcheting wrench. You're talking about from inside the car?
Yes, from inside the car. I’ve tried open-end, closed end and closed end ratcheting (15mm) wrenches. None can get enough bite/grip to turn ‘em.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I thought we were under the car taking them out from the bottom?
I was under the car yesterday. The bolts that run thru the floor pan don’t have nuts on them that secure them to the subframe connectors phalange, surprisingly. So I thought, he’ll the front nuts are off , I’ll just use a bottle jack to pop them up and free up the seat so I can yank it out. Got it jacked up about 1”, took a look and there a square, very flat nut between the subframe connector phalange and the floor pan. Looks like the seat bolt is screwed thru it and definitely no chance of twisting that bitch out of there.

Seems like the only way Ford let’s you remove the rearward seat bolts is from inside with the seat completely forward. If that’s the case, I’m pretty much screwed unless there’s a way to either move the seat forward (a release of some sort?) without power or dismantle the seat somehow (remove seat track from seat?).

Maybe I’ll try the bottle jack trick again. And if I can find/borrow a second one, use the both simultaneously, see if that pops the bastard loose or if it just separates the phalange from the floorboard and doesn’t actually pop the seat bolt through.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
do you think that when the sub frame connectors were welded in that they put them on in such a way that they are creating pressure on the seat mounts and holding it in place?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
do you think that when the sub frame connectors were welded in that they put them on in such a way that they are creating pressure on the seat mounts and holding it in place?
I’ll check that out in about an hour when I get back underneath the car!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1446.jpeg
That’s the “very flat square nut” I was referring to

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So basically when I jack it up it just separates the bolt away from the phalange and raises the car up further. It doesn’t push the bolt thru

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I pried the front feet to on top of the bolts. Easy enough.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You know... I've had rear seat bolts seize up in those captive floor pan nuts at least twice over the recent years. They're just constantly exposed to the elements. I'd say give it about ten seconds of heat from a propane torch to loosen it up a bit. Just don't give it too much heat because you got carpet just north of it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
GOT ‘EM!!!
Penetrating oil above and below and BARELY enough bite with the 15mm 8”ratcheting wrench. Then about 1,000 cranks to get them out. But hey, it’s DONE!

Now on to the original issue: the motor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience 3 out of 4 times it is the switch causing the problem, not the motors.
Definitely worth a shot. How do you do that? I have ZERO electrical experience or knowledge.

On edit: never mind, I’ve sourced help!

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
on mine just removing the switch I could see where the contact broke on the back. There was also one time that the worm gear was just so dirty that it could not move. I cleaned it with wd 40 and then some white lithium grease and it never stopped again

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
on mine just removing the switch I could see where the contact broke on the back. There was also one time that the worm gear was just so dirty that it could not move. I cleaned it with wd 40 and then some white lithium grease and it never stopped again
That’ll be tomorrow. Got offered to go have some beers! :)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience 3 out of 4 times it is the switch causing the problem, not the motors.
Man, I hope so. The motors are quite a little project. I’d be only too happy to fix the switch then button it all back up and call it “done”!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No luck so far on the switch/pigtail. I found a couple of possibilities at junk yards online. ‘95 GT’s, but no mention if power seats or not or if they’ll sell just the switch. Will try to contact them directly, as the toll free number just puts me in a loop and you never get to talk to an actual person.

joemomma

Reaction score
I've got my factory seats at home. My motor (forward/back) locked up, but I should still have the switch if you can't find one.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m definitely having trouble finding one, and that’d be fantastic if you’re willing to part with it?

I did find the switch on Rockauto (listed under V6) but it’s on back order and there’s no way to contact them for an ETA. I put in a “notify me when available” request, but… I’m not holding my breath!

So, yes, if you’re willing to part with it, I’ll happily take you up on the offer? I’ll start us a PM and take this off-thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlmobile636

Members online