Power seat question

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can this be opened? If so, how?

Cancel that, got it! But now,,, how do I clean it up?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s pics of what’s inside…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
After a quick YouTube search, I cleaned off the pointy things on the picture on the right with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips. I don’t have WD-40 electrical cleaner blah blah blah and they said this was 2nd best. So I cleaned and dried them with Q-tips.

I did a very delicate, light cleaning & drying on picture on the left, plus I ever so slightly bent the little dorky things up so each pair was even and not one side pressed down.

Should this, theoretically, work now? Do I need any dilithium grease or anything like that before reassembling?

Thanks anyone/everyone who can help! Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like I did everything I could, given my limited knowledge and experience with electronics. Things actually looked clean after the rubbing alcohol. Everything went back together nicely, including the right, left, up, down toggles inside and I very slightly turned the tiny copper (?) pins in that hold the 4 individual toggles in place, careful not so snugly that they couldn’t teeter-totter.

Bottom line… I guess I just have a bad switch! Maybe Joemomma will come through. Keep ya posted!

I‘ll still take those links to eBay, etc though!! (wink wink nudge nudge)

Thanks and Cheers everyone!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
No, if the internals are making good contact, it's not a bad switch. The contacts could simply be worn down from all the friction of just operating it. If that's the case, you might be able to forcefully bend them a bit so that they make solid contact again. Also check the fuse if you haven't already.

GTamas

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be strange if all 4 contacts would wear out at the same time? Maybe it is something with a cable or fuse, or the motor itself?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No, if the internals are making good contact, it's not a bad switch. The contacts could simply be worn down from all the friction of just operating it. If that's the case, you might be able to forcefully bend them a bit so that they make solid contact again. Also check the fuse if you haven't already.
I did that! Had same issues with the remote for my truck. Just bent the doohickeys up so they made contact again. Worked.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be strange if all 4 contacts would wear out at the same time? Maybe it is something with a cable or fuse, or the motor itself?
Checking as I go along, yes

95opal

Reaction score
To be honest the best thing i did was toss the power seat crap in the trash. That crap has some weight. Might want to consider a manual seat track if you cant find what you need.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest the best thing i did was toss the power seat crap in the trash. That crap has some weight. Might want to consider a manual seat track if you cant find what you need.
I would be completely fine with that. Are they hard to find? And does not having the leads connected mess up any electronics or fuse box?

badass98svt

Reaction score
Easy to find. They are in every 94-04 V6 mustang. Do a search on eBay. It would take you just a minute or so.
No it doesn't affect the electronics.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
have we tested for power at the switch or the motor while pushing it?
Nope, but that’s next.

First off, BIG shout out to Joemomma for the seat switch. Very cool of him to relinquish that. Thanks again!

Secondly, seat still doesn’t function. And, given the fact that there are 2 new motors and switch, I’m thinking it’s the power supply or the wiring looms themselves??

Recall, earlier on I pulled every single fuse from the fuse box and all were good. That’s what (again, in my very limited electronics knowledge) leads me to think it’s the wiring. Process of elimination.

So, if anybody is willing to teach me how to check this, I’d greatly appreciate it. I do have a voltmeter but I don’t know how to use it to check wiring, etc.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online