pre-cats??

96stangRC

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here and I just bought a 96 gt. The car's only mods that I knew of were a flowmaster cat-back and k&n CAI. However, I noticed that my car seemed a little bit louder than most stangs with cat-backs. When I looked under my car to check the mid-pipe I saw that it was a stock mid-pipe however the last 2 cats on each side had been deleted and replaced with piping. I'm also confused as to why the car has not brought up a code for this. The only code so far has been for the evaporation system whcih still needs to be fixed. I know the stock h-pipe comes with 6 cats on it all together. However I was told that the first two smaller ones on each side are actually called pre-cats and are more of a resonator. I was just wondering because although the previous owner cut out the 4 rear cats he left the front two small pre-cats. are these pre-cats actual converters or just resonators? I live in NJ which has strict emission laws so if my car has no real converters ill need to purchase some for inspection. Thanks in advance for any help given. :thumb:

Ryan

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Retired Staff
Reaction score
I think our pipes have 2 cats and 2 resonators...so I would say the previous owner cut out the resonators. Welcome to the site, how do you like the stang...is it ur 1st?

96stangRC

Reaction score
I love my stang. It's my first but I've wanted one for a long time now. The thing was I used to ride/race motocross a lot and needed a truck to put my bike in. I have a 98 f-150 and it's a great truck but part of me really still wanted a mustang so I finally sucked it up and decided to finance a used one. I came across a 96 laser red gt with 117k on it. I got it for 4k with a 6 month warranty so I feel that I got a decent deal. It's a great car but it could use a little more in the power department. Hopefully in the future I'll do a full p.i. swap and go from there but for now I love it. Thank you for your help and you have a great looking mustang. :thumb:

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Retired Staff
Reaction score
I cant belive how cheap mustangs are down there in the US! Wow I paied $14k (Canadian) for my car 3 years ago...and that was deff a fair/good deal. Crazy. BTW once you start modding it you wont be-able to stop...:p

97vertstang

Reaction score
they probably used a tuner to turn the last o2s off :dunno: .

gt96stang

Reaction score
I've had my 4 cats cut off for about 1 1/2 years now and have only had the 2 pre-cats... It has never tripped my CEL and I never used a tuner or put mil's in. I think you should be fine.

SonicStang

Reaction score
Welcome. We have emission laws here in germany, too, they check the emissions every two years. I'm curious if they'll notice from the emissions that a cat is missing.

BTW that EVAP code is easy and cheap to fix. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpl255

Members online

No members online now.