Problem.........

v6stallion95

Reaction score
yea so i was driving down a highway and i was in forth gear(i have a manual by the way). when i got to the speed i wanted to be at, i shifted to 5th for cruising and i couldn't shift to it. i was literally stuck in 4th gear and couldn't get out. i was unable to move the stick or shift to other gears and when i did, it grinded real bad. i pulled off to the side and called a tow truck and had them come get it. i was finally able to get it into neutral but i really had to force it to get there. i still was unable to get it anywhere besides neutral and 4th. i barely even got it to neutral for the tow truck to pull it up the clutch is fine. any ideas on what could have caused this to happen

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I believe something like this happened to someone else here just recently. Sorry I can't remember the thread. Try searching around in all the tech sections or hopefully someone else here remembers what happened.

R1CK3R

Reaction score
The same type of thing just happened to me. I was going hard in 1st gear, got up to about 6000 rpm's and pushed the clutch in hard to shift but when i pulled out of first the car made a bang and then i was stuck in neutral, the clutch petal was flimsy and there is a noise coming from the middle of the body kind of like a playing card stuck in between spokes of a tire. I can't go into any gear unless the car is off. SOMEONE HELP

WHEELMAN

Reaction score
if you blew a seal-and the automatic trans-ran out..you just burned it up--might be why it shifts..hard.gears..are burnt up.these are sissy transmissions..they use.trans fluid..not like the old days.when they made real transmissions and they used gear oil...and the trans..held up..if the clutch pedal and what ever is working..see if there is any fluid in trans..if no..put some in and then try shifting it..if it want shift..kiss the trans and some of your-big money away...it is trans mission shopping day

robb15033

Reaction score
I just got a 97 3.8 and serviced the transmission and differential fluids myself. Some advise that freed MY five speed up so that it changes gears and drives SWEET!: When changing transmission fluid, use the recommended Mobil1 automatic fluid and add 4 oz of MILITEC1 additive. When servicing differentials I used ROYAL PURPLE fluid (after 2 generic fluid changes 50 miles apart to clear up fluid) with LUCUS differential additive. Worked for me, MILITEC1 is an awesome oil additive for sure.

Jetsetter

Reaction score
Yeah I declare shenanigans. Additives are overrated, and I wouldn't put anything in there that isn't there stock. I also believe premium fluids are a way to upsell a customer and are usually gratified psychologically and not consistently.

7.5spool

Reaction score
maybe the clutch cable, a girl i no had that happen to her 89 4 banger lx.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online