problems with stripping down for track car - theft light

24hrlemons

Reaction score
Hello

My team is running a v6 5 speed endurance race '98 mustang, and we recently took out a lot of excess weight - door locks, door windows, door interior for that matter, etc. I also had to install a dash bar per rule change, which meant removing the gauges and dash support framework. I disconnected all the steering column electrical connections, and after welding put all them back on.

now we are having some electrical problems it seems, the "theft" light is on, and there is a relay that is making harsh cycling noises when we turn the power on (we turn it right off).

I will look at the electrical problem, but does anyone know what things cause the "theft" light to illuminate?

There is also a white box just bigger size wise than a deck of cards that is on the driver's side of the dash wire harness that I'm not sure what it is. I'm going to get car running and try disconnecting it.

also I am told the rules require removing the steering lock, but I'm not sure how to do this, we only have chiltons' manual and its pretty lame. I know you can pull the steering wheel, but how to remove the lock I'm not sure.

There was a disk with holes in it just above the steering upper U joint on the column, we removed this but it was not the lock. Since the cars did not have stability control, I'm not sure what function the disk brings to the table.

TIA - :headbang:

9838stang

Reaction score
When turn the key to the start does nothing happen? meaning does it not even turn over? If so check the battery connection. i have the "harsh clicking sound happen to me. fixed the battery terminals and works like a charm

OP
OP

24hrlemons

Reaction score
Hey, you know our battery is shot, and I'm getting a new one, hopefully that is all that is wrong? We tried it with a battery charger on it, but not sure the POS charger was able to do the job with the POS battery on it as well. Have to check it out.

OP
OP

24hrlemons

Reaction score
Ok, solve the problem. You were right, a new battery was a key.

The disk above the steering shaft is apparently some sort of ground, and I put that and the spring back on that solved one problem with THEFT light, and a new battery solved the blinker issue. Thank gosh, as we have a race in a few days!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin