Tack Strip material

in2infinity

Reaction score
I'm replacing a convertible top on my 1998 mustang and the tack strips on the front frame have almost completely fallen apart. This is the strip on the underside of the front rail which the front of the top is tacked onto and covered by that metal facia piece. There are also two strips of the same material that are in the front corners right above the release latches. Those peices are held in by three rivets and the front end of the top webbing is stapled into them. The material measures .565" wide x .113" thick. What do you guys use to replace that? It seems much more rigid (almost like ABS plastic - but it could be hardened from age) than the standard tack strip most supply houses sell but I can't seem to find anyone that sells anything like this.IMG_5696 (1).jpgIMG_5697 (1).jpgIMG_5698 (1).jpg

GTamas

Reaction score
I haven't done the front of the top yet, but it looks similar to this item I think:
Front and Rear Top Frame Bow Tack Strips
Dimensions: 5/8" X 3/16"

I bought a set of these, they are more rubber-like, not so hard like the ones on our cars. I was also wondering if they hardened due to age, or were always like this.

GTamas

Reaction score
I have also found these detailed instructions, maybe it's helpful to you.

I haven't touched the front of the top yet, so I can't verify how good the instructions are.

OP
OP
I

in2infinity

Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the tutorial .. looks like there's some good info in there. I'm doing the Kee AutoTops one peice with the plastic window. Almost all done with the exception of these tack strips. Everyone seemes to sell the 3/16" stuff, but the material on the car is 1/8" thick. I'm not sure if the extra 1/16" thickness would be an issue, probably not on the front lip but the two section on the top corners above the latches are in a recessed area. That recess seems borderline too shallow for 3/16" material. Fortunately, I did find a couple sources for 1/8" which is on the way. Overall, not a difficult process to replace the top so far. Looking forward to getting it finished.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online