"Putting $8000 into your GT isn't worth it" Uhhh What?

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
I think it's best to go in blind without a budget and try and not to keep a tally. Ignore the sticker shock

Don't Sext and Drive.

That's sort of what I do, have an overall "plan" but buy the best parts I can afford as I get to them with the understanding that it's going to be expensive lol

Sinned83

Reaction score
I've had a few stangs. I've never kept track of the $ spent. I know it's small fortune tho. The only time I've ever been bothered has been when ownership changes. Have you started yet?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a file I use to keep all my car related receipts inside of in case I need them. I only like to open them up enough to pitch the next one in as I have even found that just a quick glimpse inside reminds me what I paid for one part of the car... I sure as hell don't open it up enough to add them up.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I've had a few stangs. I've never kept track of the $ spent. I know it's small fortune tho. The only time I've ever been bothered has been when ownership changes. Have you started yet?
I think he's still in the dreaming stage of the build. C'mon man take the plunge, purchase that first wing!
PS:'are you seriously thinking $600 for a paint job? Uh oh, better make it Maaco? I know you said your buddy owed you a favor but that's pretty cheap. Do you not have any dings at all?

Don't Sext and Drive.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I added up everything I spent on the red car, because after that chick destroyed it, insurance offered me like $2k. I had more than I care to say dumped into that thing in restoration lol.

MustangGrl

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie and say i read all the replies to this right now but those people on Facebook are why the middle finger emoji should exist. Waste of money? Is it their money? No. So why do they care. I was told buy the guy that owns the "restoration" shop around the corner from where I grew up that I need to junk my car and even if I had a million dollars he would refuse to do the work. People suck. It's your project do what you wanna do with it.
The only thing I have to say about the clone aspect of this, do it 100% or do your own unique direction. The worst thing is a half assed clone. Although from what I read you seem pretty serious about doing it 100% anyway so let's see progress pics :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got collector plates for my car, one of the stipulations was that you had to show 5k in receipts. I have probably 75% of the receipts for parts since I bought the car. I probably only went through a quarter of that phone book of receipts before I got to 5 grand...it was an eye opener but it sure didn't slow me down...lol

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
When I got collector plates for my car, one of the stipulations was that you had to show 5k in receipts. I have probably 75% of the receipts for parts since I bought the car. I probably only went through a quarter of that phone book of receipts before I got to 5 grand...it was an eye opener but it sure didn't slow me down...lol

Collector plates? For your Mustang?

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
$8,000? Whew, I probably have that in my blower, intercooler, and fuel system alone. Like said, who cares. If it makes you happy and it's an interest and hobby you have, than take pride in it and just come to the realization that this is a very expensive hobby, especially mod motors. I probably have 3-4 x of $8,000 in my car and don't regret it one bit.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Collector plates? For your Mustang?

Yea, that way I don't have to mess with e check. You can get collector plates if you have a primary vehicle, if you can show 5K in receipts and drive under like 10K miles a year...they want you to prove its a nice car so that way your 1985 beater Cadillac that won't pass e check doesn't qualify for collector plates...

MustangGrl

Reaction score
Yea, that way I don't have to mess with e check. You can get collector plates if you have a primary vehicle, if you can show 5K in receipts and drive under like 10K miles a year...they want you to prove its a nice car so that way your 1985 beater Cadillac that won't pass e check doesn't qualify for collector plates...

What state are you in or is that national??

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie and say i read all the replies to this right now but those people on Facebook are why the middle finger emoji should exist. Waste of money? Is it their money? No. So why do they care. I was told buy the guy that owns the "restoration" shop around the corner from where I grew up that I need to junk my car and even if I had a million dollars he would refuse to do the work. People suck. It's your project do what you wanna do with it.
The only thing I have to say about the clone aspect of this, do it 100% or do your own unique direction. The worst thing is a half assed clone. Although from what I read you seem pretty serious about doing it 100% anyway so let's see progress pics :)

How bout those guys running around w primered body kits because they ran out of money....

Don't Sext and Drive.

MustangGrl

Reaction score
How bout those guys running around w primered body kits because they ran out of money....

Don't Sext and Drive.

*twitch* don't get me started
If you're going for something like that go big or go home
That's one reason why I personally wouldn't do a clone because I wouldn't want to be in that situation
Also, I like to have personal unique idea but that could be the weird art kid in me lol

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
In Texas some counties do the sniffer and others don't. But once the car is 25 years old it's exempt if you live in a "sniffing" county. Only 5 more years to go.. [MENTION=15489]sn95jones[/MENTION] can you give me a link of the saleen you're building so I can have an idea about what we're talking about here? What year is it?

Don't Sext and Drive.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
*twitch* don't get me started
If you're going for something like that go big or go home
That's one reason why I personally wouldn't do a clone because I wouldn't want to be in that situation
Also, I like to have personal unique idea but that could be the weird art kid in me lol

I just don't wanna be the loud mustang that gets spanked by the v6 Camry. There's nothing more embarrassing than that,

Don't Sext and Drive.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
I don't think the problem is spending 8k on your car, the problem is spending 8k (prolly way more) on a car to make it exactly like another oem(ish) car. Especially when you could turn around and buy the exact car you are shooting for and save a boat load of monies, and it be a REAL Saleen..

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
What state are you in or is that national??

I'm in Ohio and as far as I know it varies by state. I called and asked what I needed to do when I was looking into buying collector plates and they were very helpful.

In Texas some counties do the sniffer and others don't. But once the car is 25 years old it's exempt if you live in a "sniffing" county. Only 5 more years to go.. [MENTION=15489]sn95jones[/MENTION] can you give me a link of the saleen you're building so I can have an idea about what we're talking about here? What year is it?

Don't Sext and Drive.

Yea that's pretty much exactly how it is in Ohio. The county I live in has e check but drive 10 minutes to the next county and they don't. We have the 25 year rule as well...

95opal

Reaction score
Your money your car F#%* the haters. A real saleen is a piece of crap I wouldn't waist 5k on one, build yours the way you want, as long as you don't mind taking a loss on the money. I can tell you this I had between 15-20k into my car the first build. This build you couldn't get yourself out of my engine bay for 15-20k. Do I care ? absolutely F$%&*n not, I don't care one bit about the money as in the end I cant take it to my grave. As long as the bills are paid and theres money in the bank all is good.

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Your money your car F#%* the haters. A real saleen is a piece of crap I wouldn't waist 5k on one, build yours the way you want, as long as you don't mind taking a loss on the money. I can tell you this I had between 15-20k into my car the first build. This build you couldn't get yourself out of my engine bay for 15-20k. Do I care ? absolutely F$%&*n not, I don't care one bit about the money as in the end I cant take it to my grave. As long as the bills are paid and theres money in the bank all is good.

It's not the idea that the haters are hating. I think we're worried that he's gonna be rockin the primed bodykit with that kind of budget in mind, is all....

Don't Sext and Drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott

Members online