Question about 351 head swap

3.8L_Aaron

Reaction score
I know a lot of people do the gt40 (assuming 351w) head swap onto their 5.0's, and I've found myself curious if the 351c heads are totally different, or if not, are they a better swap? Pardon my ignorance in advance. :eek:kay2:

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
I've heard of 351 Cleveland head swaps on Windsors (ever heard of a Clevor?). Not sure if its typical to swap the 2v or 4v heads though. My guess is without a serious power adder the 4v heads are just as unstreetable on the Windsor as they are on the Cleveland. If you can figure out a way to move air at low RPMs the 4v heads can support a lot of power, though.

All that being said a set of decent aftermarket 5.0/8 heads probably makes more sense.

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
Ah. So before V commonly meant valve it meant venturi. So 2v is a 2 barrel and 4v means 4 barrel.

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
Maybe that wasn't clear enough... Sorry about that.
Cleveland 4v are 2 valve OHV heads which have huge ports so their streetability is questionable. The 2v heads are also a 2 valve OHV type but have more reasonable port sizes. The number of carburetor barrels (or venturi) was indicative of which you had so a Cleveland with the 4bbl carb got the larger ports.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Maybe that wasn't clear enough... Sorry about that.
Cleveland 4v are 2 valve OHV heads which have huge ports so their streetability is questionable. The 2v heads are also a 2 valve OHV type but have more reasonable port sizes. The number of carburetor barrels (or venturi) was indicative of which you had so a Cleveland with the 4bbl carb got the larger ports.
I knew exacly what you were taking about.. good way of explaining it tho

OP
OP

3.8L_Aaron

Reaction score
So basically, the gt40p heads that I already have on my explorer motor are good enough, just build them? Also, will the 1.7 rockers and such work in the p heads like they do in the 5.0 heads?Because I'd like to build the heads and cam the motor before I drop it in the stang...

JKady

Reaction score
Clevland heads can be swapped onto a 302/Windsor block but it takes a special intake (You'll have to carb it or go aftermarket efi) and AFAIK nobody makes a header for these cars with a Clevor, takes some doing on the valvetrain etc... It's not really an economically viable option anymore with so many good SBF heads on the market.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
They are 5.0 heads. . On cobra and explorers and mountaineer i believe.. the only 351 that I'm aware that came with gt40s was the lightning. . But it used 1/2" bolt holes..

OP
OP

3.8L_Aaron

Reaction score
They are 5.0 heads. . On cobra and explorers and mountaineer i believe.. the only 351 that I'm aware that came with gt40s was the lightning. . But it used 1/2" bolt holes..

Is it also true that the exploder IM's are better than gt and/or cobra IM's?

OP
OP

3.8L_Aaron

Reaction score
Better than the GT, near as makes no difference flow the same as a Cobra intake though.

Ok, good to know, I ported my IM's intake port and runners, the intake elbow and the throttle body the other day and slapped some paint on 'em and it turned out pretty good. I've been porting/polishing heads, IM's TB's and such for years with the kit eastwood makes. I've seen my results on the dyno too, no crazy gains but a few hp/tq is worth it for me :) I'm going to post a couple pics in here if possible in just a second.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online