Question about installs...?

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Who all has installed a Vortech V2 SQ S-Trim Supercharger kit?
How long did it take?
What problems did you run into?
Tips?

Who all has installed 3.73 rear end gears in a 8.8 rear?
How long did it take?
What problems did you run into?
Tips?

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
done the gears, and as far as superchargers go, most of its bolt it together in order type deal. You may end up having to be creative with mounting if some part is general for all years. The gears are a different story.. make sure you have all the gauges, and know what type of play is best, and have a ASS load of shims, and i mean it, or else you'll end up being in the middle of it tore apart and can't get the correct backlash. If you don't get it right, welcome to whinneeee city.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
hahah is it better to just get a shop to install them?? haha
i have friends that have installed them before with no problems soo

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
hahah is it better to just get a shop to install them?? haha
i have friends that have installed them before with no problems soo

make sure you have the gaps correct, otherwise go for it. I've done a couple, just gotta understand and follow the gaps correctly

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i was too scared of screwing up the Backlash on my REar end so just let a shop take care of that....plus they can dispose of all the Stinky Gear oil

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
i was too scared of screwing up the Backlash on my REar end so just let a shop take care of that....plus they can dispose of all the Stinky Gear oil

so can advanced :hammer:

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
haha niice
i want to try it just so i will learn ya know?
my friend said he can do it
and i know plenty of others who said they can and will help so

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I say go for it, but I do recommend pulling the rear end off unless you have a lift. I did the install on mine as I already told you and it would have been difficult with the rear end on the car. I can barely get under my car with it on the jack stands let alone do the gear install while laying on my back. I recommend setting the backlash at .007" because it will loosen up. Most will say .008"-.012" but I've heard of several people getting whine setting the backlash looser than .009" and make sure you use the same thickness of shims on each side as the stock machined shims, just take from one side and add to the other to get the backlash correct. Also check the ring gear run out to make sure its within spec. Be sure to mark your differential carrier caps also so you don't install them in upside down or reversed, bad news also mark how you drive shaft is bolted on. Feel free to talk with me more on AIM if you would like. There is quite a bit more to it than that but it lays out the basics for you.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
thanks bud, i will def do that.
i talked to a buddy he has some friends that have done them before with no probs so i'ma get them to do it with me

voidfinger

Reaction score
well IMHO, i've built motors before and gears is something that I'll leave to the pro's.

voidfinger

Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
meh, if you never do it you never learn...
that's how i see it

or you can spend 3 times as much replacing gears b/c they are worn out b/c not set up right. I've seen it happen and its not nice. So i'll save the extra money and get it set up right... plus my gears have lasted for like 150k... but back then i wish i would have stepped up in the gear size...

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
i'm not doing it alone.
i'm doing it with people who have done them before and know exactly what they are doing but i'm doing it with them so i learn...

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Don't worry about it you'll be fine just mark everything and make sure the backlash is within spec and take it easy for a while after you get the install done. I have a couple thousand miles on mine since the install and all is well.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The blower install is easy, you and a friend can do it with basic tools on a saturday....hardest part is drilling and tapping the oil pan and thats not even hard.

As far as gears go i don't do my own...just one of those things i leave up to someone who has done it many many times.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
my96gtstang said:
meh, if you never do it you never learn...
that's how i see it

or you can spend 3 times as much replacing gears b/c they are worn out b/c not set up right. I've seen it happen and its not nice. So i'll save the extra money and get it set up right... plus my gears have lasted for like 150k... but back then i wish i would have stepped up in the gear size...

Lol, how do you know it's getting done right? Because it cost's alot? There's an aweful lot of threads floating around lately about people who entrusted their car's to the "pro's" because "they'd rather have it done right" and getting them back missing part's, broken, effed up in one way or another.

I personally entrusted my car to a very respected shop down in Akron, they are in the Mag's all the time, but they flubbed my gear install, broke three T45's before I firgured out what the hell the deal was.

I paid 150 dollar's for a dial indicator and mag base, spent three hours on my back getting the pattern perfect, and then I KNEW they were right. I knew it because I saw it.

BTW, that superawesome shop, merely stuck my new gear's in with the stock shims, because "usually they are close enough"

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I've read the vary thing J.R. plenty of times. I haven't ever entrusted my car to anyone and I don't ever see it happening for mechanical reasons. I actually bought an inexpensive dial indicator with magnetic base and it worked great, also bought a nice micrometer for the shims. I guess what it comes down to is would you rather risk screwing up your car yourself while doing your best to get it done right or have someone else screw it up half assing it?? I would and did take the risk with myself. Thats just me though I may be crazy :dunno:

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean saying "I want it done right" kind of belittles yourself too.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
Don't worry about it you'll be fine just mark everything and make sure the backlash is within spec and take it easy for a while after you get the install done. I have a couple thousand miles on mine since the install and all is well.
I got my gears out of a b3000 mazda pickup, and i slapped them into my gt friday afternoon on into the night, got them done at 11 o'clock and the first thing i did was a burnout :dancing6: the day after that i took it to get a shift kit and cooler, and THAT very night i had it at the track :hammer: needless to say, i haven't taken it easy on them, the only thing i know of wrong with the install is my t-lok is literally locked up, as in it pulls both wheels, but doesn't like to break when going around turns :dunno: oh well

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i've read stories that breakin period you can drive it as hard as you want cuz either way it's gunna break in and some peoples last some peoples breaks. depends... i'ma do the install myself because i want it done right and i'd rather screw it up then someone else... that's just me
i'm with yall on that one ahhahah

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online