Question about paint

Discussion in 'Exterior and Interior' started by Caboose302, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Caboose302

Caboose302 Well-Known Member

Really thinking about repainting my car now that I found out my buddy just put in a paint booth at his shop. Said he'll show me how to apply it and paint it myself. I know how to prep, but applying is something new to me. I've been looking up paint and I have a few questions.

1) what is the difference in Acrylic, Urethane and acrylic-urethane?

2) How much paint would I need? Would a gallon do it or would I need more?

3) is all clearcoat pretty much the same or should I look for something specific?

2. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

[MENTION=17027]whiplash473[/MENTION] is the man to speak to!

3. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Hopefully that answers things. I've also got a sticky in the "exterior" section for painting, I'd read through it ALL to get some tips. It doesn't cover even close to everything but I haven't had the time to sit down and finish it. If you've got any more questions feel free to ask.

Spray something else before your car! If I were you I'd see if you can have a friend in the booth with you through the process to help you out. Auto body is like 95% hands-on and there's only so much I can help from here. Again, feel free to ask anything that's on your mind about it.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 6 Plus

4. Caboose302

Caboose302 Well-Known Member

That answers everything I have so far. Lol
    I read through the sticky and got some good advice, but I haven't read it all word for word yet.

My buddy is getting ready to paint a dragster and he has a few old body panels he said I can practice on and beyond that I'm planning on a new hood so I can use the old one too.

Thanks!

5. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Great thinking. Have someone that knows their stuff (maybe your buddy) check it out after and point out any issues.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 6 Plus