Question about paint

Caboose302

Reaction score
Really thinking about repainting my car now that I found out my buddy just put in a paint booth at his shop. Said he'll show me how to apply it and paint it myself. I know how to prep, but applying is something new to me. I've been looking up paint and I have a few questions.

1) what is the difference in Acrylic, Urethane and acrylic-urethane?

2) How much paint would I need? Would a gallon do it or would I need more?

3) is all clearcoat pretty much the same or should I look for something specific?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

1) what is the difference in Acrylic, Urethane and acrylic-urethane?

Just go with urethane. Acrylic is a thing of the past. The easiest way for me to make an analogy would be to say it's like spraying your car with lacquer, it just isn't as good as what's out there now. If I were you I'd price out waterborne while you're doing this and see what difference you come up with. THATS where it's at right now.

2) How much paint would I need? Would a gallon do it or would I need more?

Basecoat is mixed 1:1 so you end up with 2 gallons sprayable, which will be fine. I always like having extra of the same mixture because no matter what you do a new pint/quart/gallon will never match exactly unless you modify it yourself and without working at a shop that's pretty much impossible. Clearcoat is mixed 4:1 so you end up with....whatever that is...a gallon and a quart or something. That'll also be fine, clearcoat is always good to have extra of for other projects and whatnot.

3) is all clearcoat pretty much the same or should I look for something specific?

That's a big, fat no. The more you spend, the better it's gonna look, it's that simple. There's clearcoats that are $500+/gal and look like glass when finished. That's the shit you see on TV resto shows and these $100k cars. If I were you I'd get what I've used the most, because I like spraying it and it sands/buffs well. That's Shopline but I forget the part number as I've been out of it for a while now. I think it's JC60. You'll be happy with it and it's priced right.

Hopefully that answers things. I've also got a sticky in the "exterior" section for painting, I'd read through it ALL to get some tips. It doesn't cover even close to everything but I haven't had the time to sit down and finish it. If you've got any more questions feel free to ask.

Spray something else before your car! If I were you I'd see if you can have a friend in the booth with you through the process to help you out. Auto body is like 95% hands-on and there's only so much I can help from here. Again, feel free to ask anything that's on your mind about it.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 6 Plus

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
Hopefully that answers things. I've also got a sticky in the "exterior" section for painting, I'd read through it ALL to get some tips. It doesn't cover even close to everything but I haven't had the time to sit down and finish it. If you've got any more questions feel free to ask.

Spray something else before your car! If I were you I'd see if you can have a friend in the booth with you through the process to help you out. Auto body is like 95% hands-on and there's only so much I can help from here. Again, feel free to ask anything that's on your mind about it.

That answers everything I have so far. Lol
I read through the sticky and got some good advice, but I haven't read it all word for word yet.

My buddy is getting ready to paint a dragster and he has a few old body panels he said I can practice on and beyond that I'm planning on a new hood so I can use the old one too.

Thanks!

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That answers everything I have so far. Lol
I read through the sticky and got some good advice, but I haven't read it all word for word yet.

My buddy is getting ready to paint a dragster and he has a few old body panels he said I can practice on and beyond that I'm planning on a new hood so I can use the old one too.

Thanks!

Great thinking. Have someone that knows their stuff (maybe your buddy) check it out after and point out any issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online