Question for convertible owners.

spacemonkey

Reaction score
I am saving up for springs and struts now.But my question is. When you hit good sized bumps and buckles in the road does your rear bottom out easy?The car came with new Monroe shocks and struts.It is even worse with my kids in the back seat.I know they are not the best but for a factory suspension I wouldn't think it should be that bad. It kinda makes me scared to even lower it.

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
Ive never had a problem with my back end going out at all. Ive ran stock suspension on the gt i had for a year.

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
I had Pro-Kits put on my convertible. I don't even think about going over speed bumps! If I have to, I take at a pretty good angle! The roads in my town really stink! I have to take a lot of angles and chose which areas to drive on!
It is a cost I am willing to take though!

Also, it is usually just me in my car. I have no passengers if I don't have to.

It is always my motor area, too!

OP
OP
S

spacemonkey

Reaction score
I take as many at an angle as I can.Some you cant see till it to late.When it hits it bottoms out hard.I'm hoping lowering springs will stiffen it up enough it won't do that. The rear springs are 12 yrs old and the previous owner lived out in the country.Country roads and time probably wasn't nice to them.

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
Oh yeah, all I changed was my springs! I need to probably switch out the shocks/struts. I just live with driving it like a lowered sports car and not a truck!

skidude69

Reaction score
I have the Eibach convert springs and then added Tokiko HP shocks / Struts. When I first put the springs in only it lowered it almost 2†and I did have quite a bit of issues with the front end convert brace below the K member scraping and catching any bumps, road kill, or dirt clods (really fun.. not).

About a month later I went back in and put the poly spring isolators and the Tokikos it brought the car back up a ½†and now I never have any issues with 2 adults in the front and 2 kids in the back.

Sounds like your stock rear springs and shocks are gone, my stockers were pretty trashed out with 130K on them living and driving on rural roads most of its life.

If you do get springs make sure to get the convert set, the coupe sets are the wrong rates and will make your car have major issues with bottoming out and don’t forget the rear pinion stop replacement that should cone with your springs.

If you put in the springs without new shocks / struts rated for performance springs, take it from me, it will ride really rough and when you do hit a bump or hole at enough speed it will hurt and may even cause some real damage.

:)

skidude69

Reaction score
Oh ya, spacemonkey I love that avitar.... "There ain't no fu*kin' Thelma here.... The Bit*h don't live here!"

Ya got to love Amazon Womem on the Moon!

O0

OP
OP
S

spacemonkey

Reaction score
Knowing that movie doesn't show our age does it? :D The shocks are new Gabrieals but they prob. were garbage to start with.They look like .50 cent auto zone specials.Did you use the SN tokico struts or the fox struts?Thanks for the info.

skidude69

Reaction score
LAMO.... Yea that and Odd Jobs are great flicks!

I went ahead and used the FOX set.....

OP
OP
S

spacemonkey

Reaction score
:rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:.Whatcha got in the bag Rooooooooooy.Thanks.The Fox set up is cheaper anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99