Question: Installing mechanical oil gauge but keeping factory sending unit?

Venompower

Reaction score
So based on other things going on with the car, I'd like to know what my actual oil pressure is doing. I liver about 30 min from autometer and planned on grabbing a mechanical oil pressure gauge, but while I could ground the sending unit, I'd like some feedback on what you would do to keep the sending unit functional?

I'm not sure what size the bung is for the factory sending unit, or what t adaptor you would use to run both off the same location?

TrickVert

Reaction score
I used something like THIS (not sure this is the exact one) when I needed a port for the Vortech oil feed. You could likely do the same to tap off an oil pressure gauge.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I used something like THIS (not sure this is the exact one) when I needed a port for the Vortech oil feed. You could likely do the same to tap off an oil pressure gauge.
I think the Oil Sender sensor is 1/4, and the Autometer Digital (decided I didn't wan the potential mess) has a 1/4 to an 1/8 adaptor... so I can find a brass t fitting with one male and two female I should be able to run both off the same spot. Other wise I'll figure out how to ground the stock sending unit, and just use the port for the Autometer alone.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have an oil cooler that has a port for a sender which is where my external sender is. It has a sandwich plate like this but because it makes the filter stick out so far I have to drop the two bolts on the sway bar to get enough room to get the filter out. Not sure if you have that issue also or just use the shorter filter?

95opal

Reaction score
I used a fox body oil pressure log and I drilled and tapped next to the existing for my aftermarket gauge

TrickVert

Reaction score
I have an oil cooler that has a port for a sender which is where my external sender is. It has a sandwich plate like this but because it makes the filter stick out so far I have to drop the two bolts on the sway bar to get enough room to get the filter out. Not sure if you have that issue also or just use the shorter filter?
Nope. Plenty of room for the FL1A filter.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I think the Oil Sender sensor is 1/4, and the Autometer Digital (decided I didn't wan the potential mess) has a 1/4 to an 1/8 adaptor... so I can find a brass t fitting with one male and two female I should be able to run both off the same spot. Other wise I'll figure out how to ground the stock sending unit, and just use the port for the Autometer alone.
The T fitting may work if you have room. And good call on the electric gauge over possible oil spray in the cockpit, although I would go with a standard analog one. Our brains can process the position of a needle a lot quicker than they can read numbers.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
oil sending unit.JPG

So this is the picture from Haynes of the oil pressure sending unit on the 4.6 DOHC... would it be possible to use an allen wrench to remove the plug to the right and put the fitting for the Autometer Oil Pressure gauge? I've seen people mention T-fittings, or just losing the dummy gauge, but this looks like there is already an extra fitting location?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online