Question on axle shaft set up

Denunzio36

Reaction score
On the end of the axle shaft (wheel end), between the axle housing and the lugs there is a spacer that looks like a gear (pretty sure it's used to space). Does anyone know what this is called and what it does? I need to replace one and not sure how to explain what it is. Help is appreciated. Thanks

ryclef331

Reaction score
Its an ABS ring. They're pressed on and off the axles. To replace it, you'll have to open the diff cover in the back (draining the oil as well), rotate the ring gear/carrier until you can access the cross pin retaining bolt. pull that bolt out, then pull the cross pin. Remove the brake calipers, hang them out of the way. Pull the discs off. Push in the axles slightly...go back under the car to the carrier and you'll see two c-clips on the ends of the axles. grab those c-clips and then the axles will slide right out. The problem with those ABS rings is that they are pressed on and are brittle. They tend to break when they're pulled off it the mechanic isn't careful. Hope that helps. If you do pull the axles yourself, its pretty straight forward. All you'll need is a couple quarts of gearoil (80-90w), a bottle of friction modifier for your stock trac-lok, and some high temp silicone to seal up the diff cover again. The filler plug to the diff is on the forward right side. Pour your friction modifer it, then add gear oil until it starts to come out of the hole. close it up and you're done. Make sure the cover and diff housing mating surfaces are CLEAN before you put it back together. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

Denunzio36

Reaction score
Wow. You are one thorough SOB. Thanks!

Mine actually did break, which is why I am asking. Are they a critical piece?

Where can I get one?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online