Quick question on PI intake

Goldmember

Reaction score
Bought a PI intake kit off Ebay- comes with everything you need, inclusing the second coolant sensor tapped, re-drilled alternator bracket, the whole nine...

Planning on doing the install this weekend, I've done a ton of reading on the procedure and am comfortable with it except for one thing- as far as refilling the coolant, where should I do this- what is the highest point in the system?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've always just used the radiator/tank. It's probably pretty close to the highest point. It does settle back down after a moment and you need to add more.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
I've always just used the radiator/tank. It's probably pretty close to the highest point. It does settle back down after a moment and you need to add more.

same here, i dont really think there is anywhere else to refill it from. and incase you werent planning to, take off the alternator, it will make for removing the intake manifold so much easier

voidfinger

Reaction score
and buy the fuel line disconnectors ... i've done it twice with out and its a pain in the ass to move them around while they are still attached.

O and hey dude, you have any pics of your car? thanks

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Was gonna try to be a cheapskate and leave the alternator in, but for the extra few minutes of work it just seems like a good idea to take it out... Apparently the EGR setup is the only other thing that fights you trying to take out the intake.

Have the fuel line disconnect tools, no problems there...

As for pics- I have some in members' rides and in the intro forum, just look for my username. I must warn you, it's very much a work in progress- lol it currently has no stereo (threw out the TRASH AIWA that was in there),among other things.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can get away with just tilting the alt forward on the lower two bolt's, you have to back them out a bit first. The EGR need's a little bending/persuasion on the hard line, I actually remove the valve from the throttle body, then from the fitting.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
You can get away with just tilting the alt forward on the lower two bolt's, you have to back them out a bit first. The EGR need's a little bending/persuasion on the hard line, I actually remove the valve from the throttle body, then from the fitting.

i just took off the alternator because one you loosen the two bolts on the bottom, all you have to do is unplug 3 wires and lift it to remove it...and it will let you slide the intake manifold right out from under the EGR tube. as for that tube tho, i just disconnected it from the EGR (left the EGR, plennum, and throttlebody all bolted together) and slid the entire combo away from the tube, didnt need to bend it or anything.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Last time I did mine, I didnt have a 3/4 ratchet to loosen the tensioner, so I tilted it :hammer:

Black97GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Definitely take the alternator off...it is not hard to do at all. The hardest parts of the swap for me was the bracket on the back of the engine and the coolant nipple. You can angle the intake around the EGR..with a little persuasion. Just be organized and label everything you take out..it makes it a lot easier/quicker to put back together. I didnt do the fuel line disconnects..but it would have definitely been easier if I did. It is doable without removing them though. I just filled the coolant tank after I had finished everything, not sure if there is another way to do that or not.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Cool guys, thanks for all the tips...

Heading to Advance Thursday for a new water pump, injector O-rings, and fresh spark plugs... teardown begins Friday after I come home from work (it's only a 10 minute ride, won't need long to cool off).

**Water pump and fuel injector O-rings b/c they're cheap and a good idea, what the hell it's all apart anyway...

voidfinger

Reaction score
be sure to keep the fluids from going down into your spark plug holes ... it will f up the plugs and wires... also keep towels all around it when you take off the fuel rail and when you pull it up since extra fluid is always up in that thing.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
In response to asking how to refill it, once you get everything back together, refill it through the thermostat. In other words, put the thermostat back in AFTER you have filled the cooling system. Will help to make sure you don't get any air bubbles in there. Also, make sure you are filling it with the car running.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
be sure to keep the fluids from going down into your spark plug holes ... it will f up the plugs and wires... also keep towels all around it when you take off the fuel rail and when you pull it up since extra fluid is always up in that thing.

Yeah one of my dad's co-workers had the intake done on his '97 Town Car, they didn't know there was still coolant in the cylinders and bent a rod. Yikes!

As for me, I'm taking the plugs out when I have the intake off, and I'll crank it once it's all back together without the plugs in to blow any lingering coolant out. (My intake has not failed, in theory I shouldn't have any issues but it is a Ford and I'm not taking anything for granted LOL!)

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's fairly easy to get it down the front and rear intake port's anyway..., another thing to watch out for.

voidfinger

Reaction score
Yea i got a little in my ports...but i just blew it out on a compression stroke... not to much i guess.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
UPDATE

Got it all apart today. I must say the two bolts holding the heater hose bracket to the back of the block were a PITA!!

Got the water pump out, and it looks like there's a small metal hose in the block (2" long or so, pointing toward rear of car) that the heater hose plugs into- should that be there? My PI kit came with a new nipple that looks like it should plug the hose into the water pump.

What do I do with that hose, it it supposed to come out? Looks like it should tap out with a hammer...

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
TheAztec said:
UPDATE

Got it all apart today. I must say the two bolts holding the heater hose bracket to the back of the block were a PITA!!

Got the water pump out, and it looks like there's a small metal hose in the block (2" long or so, pointing toward rear of car) that the heater hose plugs into- should that be there? My PI kit came with a new nipple that looks like it should plug the hose into the water pump.

What do I do with that hose, it it supposed to come out? Looks like it should tap out with a hammer...

what year is your car? if its a 98, re-use the one that already in the block (which means you took off the water pump for no good reason).

if its a 96 or 97, you may already have the PI nipple, but i would replace it anyways. you have to tap it out with a hammer from the cylinder valley out towards the radiator. if you dont have a tap, just use a socket or something that you dont mind if it gets damaged.

EDIT: just read your sig, its a 97. tap it out with a hammer and socket (or small chisel if you have one) and replace with the new one

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Damn, i just figured out he is talking about the water pump nipple. Yes, just tap it out and put your new one in.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
Damn, i just figured out he is talking about the water pump nipple. Yes, just tap it out and put your new one in.

hahahaha :lol:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag