Quick question on PI intake

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Seriously, I was wracking my brain, like WTF is he talking about, lol.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Yup it's a '97 and thank you all for the speedy replies- gonna kick its ass tomorrow with a little blunt force! Yes I have the new heater tube and the correct nipple for the tube--water pump connection.

reivaxtorres I elected to replace the water pump for good measure, at 10 years old and 96K I figured what the hell, it's all apart anyway and only another 20 mins of work. Cheap insurance...

But I'm a dumbass, all the research, reading, and part buying and I FORGOT TO BUY A FUCKIN THERMOSTAT... gonna have to make a CarQuest run. Damn!

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lol, it always happens. Good luck man. You'll like the new and improved top end pull.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
Wait, back the truck up, didn't they include a new heater tube?

....beep....beep....beep....
too much :drunk: for you already? :hammer: i didnt see anywhere that he posted they didnt include the new tube...lol

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
TheAztec said:
Yup it's a '97 and thank you all for the speedy replies- gonna kick its ass tomorrow with a little blunt force! Yes I have the new heater tube and the correct nipple for the tube--water pump connection.

reivaxtorres I elected to replace the water pump for good measure, at 10 years old and 96K I figured what the hell, it's all apart anyway and only another 20 mins of work. Cheap insurance...

But I'm a dumbass, all the research, reading, and part buying and I FORGOT TO BUY A FUCKIN THERMOSTAT... gonna have to make a CarQuest run. Damn!

well if it makes you feel any better........ive had the opportunity to replace mine 3 times already, and i still havent, ahaha. its the original one, 9 yrs (10 in jan) and 158k miles down the road and its still kicking ass. :dancing6:

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
Lol, it always happens. Good luck man. You'll like the new and improved top end pull.

I've only given it full throttle to 5500 RPM once out of fear for blowing the intake- once you're over 4500 RPM I would definitely say it's the gears that give the impression the motor's pulling but it's flat on its face. I looked at the PI runners side by side vs the nPI and damn I can't wait for this!!

reviax... wow 158K on the stock intake that's pretty damn good!

LI98GT

Reaction score
I think he was referencing the t-stat was that old, but that's how I read it. You might want to consider going with a 180 degree t-stat instead of the stocker 19x while your at it.

voidfinger

Reaction score
why drop the thermastat if your not with a forced induction? It really isn't going to help since these cars were designed to run there..why not keep it there... just my .02

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
I never said I was dropping the tstat, only that I forgot to buy one. Got a stock replacement this morning and all is well. It's my understanding that the fans do most of the work as far as water temp and where it sits, and since my car is mostly stock there's no need to run a cooler stat and piss money away on gas because it's running richer than it has to.

Progress has been solid, all that's really left to do is bolt up the alternator, the intake tube, the strut tower brace, and hope it fires up!

voidfinger

Reaction score
good luck. You might want to unplug the coils and turn it over a couple times... to clear out anything in the cylenders and also to prime the fuel lines. Good luck and you will love it :)

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
We bumped the motor over with the starter while the old plugs were out- they were shot anyway, threw new Autolite AP764's in there after we cleared the cylinders. Will prime the fuel system by turning the key to "ON" for 5 secs or so before trying to start. Plenty of ways to skin that cat, learned a lot about it when I had my Marquis (was also a 4.6)

No doubt I'll live it- the runners on this PI are HUGE- it sucks waiting for the silicone to dry though. How long til I can fire it up? (Gaskets have been siliconed on for about 2 1/2-3 hrs now)

voidfinger

Reaction score
I would wait at least 24 hours... and i didn't put any fluid in mine untill i thought the stuff was dry... did you put stuff in it already?

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Nope it's dry as a bone... I guess all I'll do then is finish putting it back together today and leave it til tomorrow.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea thats your best bet. Don't want to have to tear it down and do it again. ya know. Good luck

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
TheAztec said:
No doubt I'll live it- the runners on this PI are HUGE- it sucks waiting for the silicone to dry though. How long til I can fire it up? (Gaskets have been siliconed on for about 2 1/2-3 hrs now)

hahaha, as soon as i was done putting everything together, i fired it up (forgot about priming the fuel system), drove it around town for about 5 minutes, then took it on the freeway and tested the top end pull (all the way to redline). never had an issue with it, and it held good.

and no, i didnt get 158k out of the stock intakemanifold, the owner before me had replaced it once with a ford NPI unit, then i replaced it again back in nov. of 06 in place of the PI manifold. now this weekend i took it all off again and threw on the PI heads and reused the PI intake and the gaskets.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Another update, everything is back together and I did a couple more things to the car while waiting for the silicone to dry (finally detailed the interior, added the correct GT 4.6 fender emblems, trimmed the rubber gaskets on my new clear coners b/c they looked like ass, removed the tint from the windows (old, scratched, looked like shit, air bubbles everywhere)

Tomorrow we bring it back to life- we ran it for about 5-8 secs after reassembly to confirm it would start only.

New update tomorrow, I'm going to go easy on it for a few days before I give 'er the boot. This is my daily driver, would rather not take a chance, ya know?

One more thing- HUGE THANKS to the good people here at sn95, were it not for the incredibly well-done write-ups and the people who have done this before I never would have attempted this swap. *bows down*

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
No that's the Livernois kit that costs you an arm and a leg.

I got mine through Ebay from Custom Mustang of South Florida. They have their own site- www.custommustang.com- the guy's name is Kraig and his kit runs right around $300 give or take. It's a little more than going to the dealer and buying parts but his kit is totally foolproof. All you'll need to buy outside is a new thermostat and water pump, but those are up to you. I should also mention that he only uses OEM Ford parts... no no-name shit that you don't know where it's from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Staff online

Members online