Quick release steering wheel

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Ah ok, so I definitely don't need the 3 inch deep dish! I'm 6'4" so the steering wheel position is good for me as is. I see that you have a non deep dish MOMO wheel, so with the NRG setup, it only moves the steering wheel 1 inch closer to the driver. Is that a correct assessment?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Ah ok, so I definitely don't need the 3 inch deep dish! I'm 6'4" so the steering wheel position is good for me as is. I see that you have a non deep dish MOMO wheel, so with the NRG setup, it only moves the steering wheel 1 inch closer to the driver. Is that a correct assessment?

Yes sir, I would agree with that statement.

Speaking of my Momo steering wheel, I don’t like it as much as I thought I would. In fact, I’m looking for a replacement that has a simple, round rim. The hand reliefs on mine aren’t comfortable at all.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Alright, getting ready to pull the trigger. Got the NRG short hub, NRG quick release, and NRG steering wheel. Does the black backing trim piece that attaches to the column (not sure what to call it) come with the short hub? Or do I buy that separately?

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Alright, here's what I'm looking to get. Gonna pull the trigger momentarily.

Attachments

• steering wheel.JPG
    steering wheel.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 20

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Wow, so what a b***h!!! But, it's installed now!

Got the NRG short hub (way too short!), the quick release (steering wheel is cocked off 20 degrees), and NRG steering wheel (came with horn button but impossible to wire horn properly). Finally got this setup installed. Wow, first of all, no instructions whatsoever in any of the boxes. It came with some spacers, some other crap, but no instructions.

Ok so first, the short hub is indeed SHORT! Way too much space between the hub and the steering column. Basically I separated the clock spring and used only the backing piece. It works, but looks subpar and half-assed. Additionally, the taper on the hub is just not right. Thankfully I had a bucket of bolts to find a replacement that was long enough. If you use the original steering column bolt, it would only get 2 or 3 thread engaged. Talk about design flaw!

Now, onto the quick disconnect. Fairly easy install, but the steering wheel is cocked off 20 degrees. Looks like garbage! I guess I'll go get another alignment to get the steering wheel straight.

Lastly, the steering wheel itself. It's fine, but the horn button is useless considering the hub makes it impossible to wire up the horn properly.

Overall, NRG can do a way better job of vehicle specific parts. But, it seems to be functional, but the fit is terrible. I am pretty mechanically inclined, so I made it work. For someone who is less of a grease monkey, good luck!!

Attachments

• IMG_7214.JPG
    IMG_7214.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7254.JPG
    IMG_7254.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7255.JPG
    IMG_7255.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7267.JPG
    IMG_7267.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 18
  • NRG Steering wheel (2).JPG
    NRG Steering wheel (2).JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 18

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't recall having issues with mine but I'll be pulling it apart sometime soon. I'll pay attention to the main bolt length/thread engagement.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Also...any case anyone is wondering. I removed the airbag light from the gauge cluster so I that I don't have to stare at it all the time when driving. NOTE: when you remove the bulb, there will be a series of 5 beeps, 5 times when starting up. You will hear 25 beeps total on each startup. Kind of annoying, but I just turn the radio up, and don't have to look at an airbag light.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Also...any case anyone is wondering. I removed the airbag light from the gauge cluster so I that I don't have to stare at it all the time when driving. NOTE: when you remove the bulb, there will be a series of 5 beeps, 5 times when starting up. You will hear 25 beeps total on each startup. Kind of annoying, but I just turn the radio up, and don't have to look at an airbag light.

If you disconnect the blue module that’s mounted to the floor, behind the radio, the beeping will cease. I’d perform this task with the battery disconnected and let the system discharge any residual power first. Just in case.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Welllllll............

NRG makes good stuff, but their part numbers are WRONG! The SRK-174H is for only 79-89 Mustangs (even though the website says it's for 79-04 Mustangs). The New Edge needs the SRK-179H. Their website has these parts listed incorrectly. I confirmed by doing a deep dive in Google, comparing and contrasting part numbers and the physical hub shape itself. So, I am returning the SRK-174H hub, and ordered the SRK-179H that should fit properly AND allow the use of the clock spring. The kit also comes with resistors, but NO instructions. Upon further research, the resistors are to be placed in the airbag connector to trick the ECU into thinking the airbag is present. This eliminates you from having to remove the airbag bulb and get the stupid beeping noise. If only NRG included instructions and had their part numbers listed correctly, this would have been an easy install. Now I have to replace the clock spring because I cut the wires and now have to wait on the correct hub to come in. So, I guess I'll take the dash apart AGAIN, and the lower dash now so that I can install the new clock spring and wiring.

Wow....NRG get your s**t together!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7275.JPG
    IMG_7275.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 9

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the CORRECT hub in the mail last night. The correct NRG hub for the 99-04 New Edge is SRK-179H. This hub has the slot for the clock spring wires to route through. I wish NRG had their part numbers and descriptions correct. I had to buy a new clock spring ($138) because I tried to make the wrong part work because NRG had it labeled wrong.

Anyways, the correct hub looks MUCH better. It covers the clock spring and looks factory.

For anyone reading this in the future...get SRK-179H for your 99-04 New Edge. Do NOT get SRK-174H. It is for 79-89 Mustangs.

Attachments

• IMG_7283.JPG
    IMG_7283.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7285.JPG
    IMG_7285.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 17

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Also, the kit comes with a 2ohm resistor. You just wire that into the airbag connector, and no airbag light! Unfortunately NRG provided NO instructions, so I had to do some huntin around the internet to figure out how to do this properly. But, it's really super easy. The airbag connector is 2 wires at the steering wheel hub. Remove the connector and wire the resistor between the 2 wires, and it tricks the ECU into thinking the airbag is in place. I HATE dash lights, so this was important to me. And the horn works properly! The only thing I'll miss is the cruise control for the 2 hour drive to the track.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

Your better off disconnecting the module like white said, or stick a piece of electrical tape on the back of the display and no light will go through and no beeps

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.