Real Gauges / Gauge Pod - Yay or ney?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As we all know, the: oil, voltage and (to a lesser extent) temp gauges are more-less just over glorified idiot lights. So, there's a desire to have real gauges that actually show accurate information. Those with terminators have the luxury of the boost gauge rather than a useless voltage meter... which I am jealous of with my 99 SVT.

There's an electrical engineer that I spoke to a few times by the name of Mark Olsen. He's in the process of engineering a gauge cluster for the SN95 that feature REAL gauges that actually work based on info they get from the PCM, rather than just function as "idiot" gauges that are in either an "on/off" positions. I think he may have given up or abandoned the project because I haven't seen or heard anything about it in a while. He posted regularly on the modded fords forum (too lazy to find the thread right now). I was really hopping he'd have a break-through because I would have purchased on of his clusters in a heartbeat!

So this brings me to my main question. Gauge pods... yey or ney? I've heard and seen a lot of differing views on it. Some say they're ok, some say in moderation only. Some say they're too rice. You guys on here seem to be really level headed and down to earth, so what are your views on them?

- A-Pillar Gauges - Not a fan personally.
- Steering column bezel - Not a fan of this either.
- Gauge cluster bezel w/ two in each lower corner - Maybe???
- Spare radio hole - Nice, but I put termi trim panels in for a double DIN radio.
- Saleen style above the center vent pod - Maybe???

I got one of these a while back: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310403146986
I was going to put boost and fuel pressure gauges in it, but I never had the heart to mount it on my dash. Constructive criticism welcome and encouraged.

Stanimal

Reaction score
im a huge believer ingauges. Every vehicle i drive always has MANUAL autometers in it of some form. Civic has ultra light oil, water and vacuum mounted on a pilliar, SRT-10 has FACTORY oil temp mounted in factory a pilliar pod, and wideband for each bank mounted on the top of the steering colum, my 79 ford has phantom 2 oil psi, oil temp, volts, water temp, and fuel psi mounted under the dash, and have plans for my mustang to get sport comp 2 oil psi, water temp, wide band for each bank, and a oil temp gauge. I plan to do 3 down in the stock cd player area, and the widebands will be in the bottom corner cluster pod. its not rice, its smart and safe. its only rice if you do it the cheap way with unreliable gauges only for looks

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a single pillar pod for my boost gauge which I like!
Im not a fan of the steering column bezel or the the gauge cluster bezel. They seem to be hard to see and make everything cluttered...

I'm looking into getting the center dash pod like the one deeplist posted a link to. Anyone know how its installed?

I'm also looking into putting gauges into that bottom radio cubby.

As for your question deeplist i think gauges look great in moderation. They add a lot to the interior and the accuracy of the gauges is a big advantage. However if the gauges are poorly installed/wrong spots or there are too many it can ruin the car IMO.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think the only place I would prefer to have them is above the center vent using the saleen style pod like the one I posted the link to on eBay. I'd also go for the radio cubby, but since I did the trim swap, that's not an option.

I purchased the above-the-vent style pod last summer and it's been sitting in a box out in the garage ever since. I'd have to look at it again to see how it's installed. I forget. I think if I had black interior, it would look okay. But I have parchment and I feel it would look out of place without at least painting it first. The whole idea was thrown on the back burner.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, yes. It would look goofy if it wasnt the same colour as the dash... I think if you changed the colour of the pod it would look great in your car.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. It's something I have been reconsidering lately. I'd certainly like to put a boost gauge in there and possibly either fuel pressure or A/F.

Above-the-vent or radio cubby really seem like the only "natural" places to put them without making a crowded or riced look... in my opinion anyway.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your into making your own stuff I show how I made my steering pod at the bottom of this page.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395420/1994-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-2d/page-8/

15996764_large.jpg

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
I like saleen style clock pod gauges more than any style in sn95's. besides termi's of course, but that doesn't count.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that pic was actually taken from down lower then the normal seating position to get the newly wrapped steering wheel. From my view all that is lost is the speedo under 20 mph and the odometer. Doesn't take much more then a small lean forward to see the odometer and never found a use for the speedo under 20.

SL0WNESS

Reaction score
im also a believer in having good guages..especially if you have a modified car. I like knowing at the very least what my oil pressure and water temp is.

IMG_20130109_084703.jpg

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like that pod that's above the center vent! I didn't know they made a 3 gauge pod that goes there. That is cool!

SL0WNESS

Reaction score
Im not sure if its still made or not. A company called Florida 5.0 made it many years ago, and last i knew they had shut down.

OP
OP
DeepList

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks because I would really like to get one of those. It just looks like it belongs there. Very nice.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm planning on moving my HVAC controls to the compt. under the radio and placing 2 or 3 guages in the spot where the hvac controls were.

det_riot

Reaction score
Also went with the custom route, click picture for more pics in build thread. Went with the radio pod as well to compliment it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online