Rear End Gear Update

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I talked to the guy doing my rear (on my car). He said the bearings were burnt, but not peeling, clutches are worn, spider gears are good, axles are showing some wear but not bad. He did not say anything about the gears so I am guessing they are o.k.

He will be done tomarrow with the car.

For those of you who don't know, I had a nice humm in the rear gear, so I took her in for a gear swap 3:27's to 3:73's

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Nice, even though I've only driven 1 stang with gears for about 20 minutes it gives it a nice kick. O0

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Woot, you're gonna love it :rockyou:

all night long.

OP
OP
U

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea, we get her back tomarrow, and me and the wife leave for Ct. on Saturday morning for a weekend roadtrip.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey i dont mean to steal you thread but i have a question.. everytime i shift or let off the gas and get back in it (not even hard, just normal let off and go...) my rear end or somewhere in the driveline seems to "kick" back and its sooo annoying. iono if its a bearing or what.. just wondering...

OP
OP
U

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
hey i dont mean to steal you thread but i have a question.. everytime i shift or let off the gas and get back in it (not even hard, just normal let off and go...) my rear end or somewhere in the driveline seems to "kick" back and its sooo annoying. iono if its a bearing or what.. just wondering...

If you had a bad bearing in the rear it would hum or vibrate the drive line. If it were a gear problem it would make some really cool crunching noises, and shake the shit out of the car, or it would not do anything but spin the drive shaft.

You need to get under there and check for lose parts, pinion/drive shaft, rear end bushings, things like that. Also check your rear trans mount.

Make sure you use jack stands when you go under there, you may need to shake shit around pretty good. No squished kids please.

I picked up the car last night. I have a 150-200rpm change at 65mph. But what a difference on the low end. At this point I am happy with my gear choice.

Now it is off to Ct.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
TxCobrA98 said:

If you had a bad bearing in the rear it would hum or vibrate the drive line. If it were a gear problem it would make some really cool crunching noises, and shake the shit out of the car, or it would not do anything but spin the drive shaft.

You need to get under there and check for lose parts, pinion/drive shaft, rear end bushings, things like that. Also check your rear trans mount.

Make sure you use jack stands when you go under there, you may need to shake shit around pretty good. No squished kids please.

I picked up the car last night. I have a 150-200rpm change at 65mph. But what a difference on the low end. At this point I am happy with my gear choice.

Now it is off to Ct.

hey thanks matt. ill definitly check that out. i meant the rear end bushing.. thats what my dad said it could be. thanks for the info though. ill be sure to check those things out! have fun in Ct. be safe! glad you like the gears. i can't wait to throw some 4.10's up under mine.

Bluextc

Reaction score
O0 enjoy the gears!
I got 4.10's in on Dec. 27 and they're awesome.

OP
OP
U

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
:D how much did it bump your rpms up?

It is a big change down in the lower gears, but in 5th at 65mph I am turning about 2,150-2,200rpm. That is a change of about 150-200rpm. I also averaged about 21.5mpg on the way to Ct. I will recheck it when I top off again.

Nater

Reaction score
I can attest to the gear swap....I went from 3.55s to 4.30s and OMG!!!!! :eek: I am in love with my car all over again!

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
how do you determine your gas mileage? sorry just wondering im stupid.. we have 15 gallon tanks right? do you just see how many miles you go till empty or something and divide by 15?

OP
OP
U

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
you need to divide your miles by amount used, EXAMPLE:193/9= 21.4444444444

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
kinda off topic, but there has been a wierd noise coming from my rear for a few days...it sounds kkinda like a metal to metal scratching while driving and its definitely something that rotates because it does it for like every rotation...but i think it stops when im on the brakes. anyone know what it is?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lndabrkes01

Members online

No members online now.