Rear end toasted! WTF!

Whitepony

Reaction score
so the mechanics checked my rear end and the diff was full of metal shavings and the bearings were completly gone....
they need to do a rebuild....

i have 99xxx miles on it anyone know what caused this they quoted me $1500 for rebuild. is this way to much?

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
If hes rebuilding back to stock specs HELL YEAH thats too much. I have a stock diff and ring and pinion if u need them. My rear end rebuild was $2000 and thats cost and labor. Parts included Superior 31 spline axles, pro auburn 31 spline differential, T/A performance main girdle, Ford Racing ring and pinion, and all new seals and bearings.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Yep, I replaced ALL of the parts in my rearend with stuff similar to listed above for $1000. That was the cost of parts only of course.

Trak-lock rebuild kits can be had for cheap at Summit, as can all the seals and bearings. How much of that work is parts and how much is labor?

OP
OP
W

Whitepony

Reaction score
okay i went in the shop to get all the details and had them show me what was wrong.

I was wrong... this diff is fine
the problem is that the bearing that hold the axle on the left and right were both shot and the axle has been rubbing against the metal for many thousands of miles :slap:
I had no idea this was happening until it started to make a little jolt when i first pushed the gas and a quiet scraping noise from the rear.

the out come is that i ruined both axles and i think he said he needs to refinnish the axle housing because the metal on metal made it all jagged and rough.

I am such a retard. :pimp2: He knocked the rip off price down to 1186 for all the parts and labor... :aresehole:

St33da

Reaction score
save yourself some money, go to a junk yard and get a rear axle and throw it in yourself.... and if you dont have the ability to do it, then im sure you have a few friends that do and would be willing to help you for a few cases of beer :drunk:

drifts14x

Reaction score
My mechanic was going to build my whole 8.8 for $300, a case of beer, and I supplied parts ($1000 for 3.55's, new axles, new carrier, rebuild kit, the whole 9 yards), so don't go paying 1186 for a stock setup, grab a used diff or set of used axles, then find a good backyard type shop and have them swap 'em for much cheaper than that. Lubed or not, that still hurts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online