Rearend Question

TanTop94

Reaction score
You do know that the foxbody (drum) axle housing is the same length as the one in your 94-98 right? Unbolt the drum brake backing plates and swap all your disc brake hardware over...

axles002.jpg

See the four nuts around the axle tube? If you remove those, the drum backing plate will come off.

itll look like this (just not with the axle shaft sill in it.)

axles005.jpg

Your disc brake backing plate....

axles007.jpg

Will bolt right on.

axles008.jpg

Hmm...I didnt think it was that easy to swap them....well I might have a project coming up soon then lol. thank you:grin:

OP
OP
A

AJCrader

Reaction score
Huh, everyone else just dives in! :)

Anyways I take it you bought the one on craigs, posting is deleted.

I must have just gotten lucky. I did my 8.8 a few years back including a gearing change. I was told by a local mechanic that 99% of the time when changing ring/pinion, if the new ring/pinion is used, you just re-use the exact shims that were with the old gear set. That's what I did and never had issues or noises. I also did the rebuild, just the clutches, and the kit was pretty easy and complete. Got the Ford Racing kit with carbon clutches, hardest part were the last couple of clutches plus that center keeper. Maybe I just got lucky but I was pretty intimidated by the whole thing.

I would just do it yourself if you have any sort of interest to learn it. IMO the CL rear is pricey for used, and a little on the iffy side. Could be beat to an inch of it's life, bent, etc. The $950 for gears/rebuild is just rediculous, pretty sure you can buy a complete 8.8 from Ford Racing for close to that price.

The one on CL I did get, and know the guy...more or a friend of a friend kind of thing...but I knew the car it was in, and it was not in the car long before he decided to sell it, and he never really beat on it either, took it to the track once and that was about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001