rebuilding a 88 ho shortblock.

daltonduree

Reaction score
alright guys here is whats going on. my 94 is leaking everywhere and driving me nuts. i have been puting together a parts pile for a new hci engine which i picked up a 88 he 5.0 block. now here is my question. what needs to be done with the cylinder walls? i know i need new rings and bearings but is it enough to just hone the walls down? or do i need to machine it true?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Depends on the condition of the cylinder walls themselves . Sometimes you can get away with a hone

OP
OP
D

daltonduree

Reaction score
Depends on the condition of the cylinder walls themselves . Sometimes you can get away with a hone
so use a t gauge and micrometer and measuere. if its close then i can just hone it? im expecting it not to be close... the previous owner ran like 12psi of boost on it till like 150k miles haha

RichV

Reaction score
How do the walls look with a visual inspection? Can you still see cross-hatch pattern? It's really about a visual inspection of the cylinders and bearing condition.

rw95gt

Reaction score
Why spend good money on a top end and go cheap on the short block? The smartest thing to do would be take it to a machine shop and have them prep the block and assemble the short block for you. Probably cost you $1500 and you will know it was done right. You will need new pistons, rod bolts, bearings, oil pump and main cap studs or bolts. This would be a great foundation and would last a long time if you take care of it. This is the route I'm going to go. Just my. .03

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

RichV

Reaction score
Or get a crate at that cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.