Rebuilding Auto Trans

beyondEOD

Reaction score
Yes that is a good kit. If you go off of Jerry's Thesis that kit will only be good for a 450 HP build though.

Above 450hp you need to start adding plates and considering 300m stub shaft at a min.

I'm not a professional transmission builder or expert, but I've done a ton of research on this transmission. I've talked to Darrin at BCA and read all of Jerry's write ups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pantera1889

Reaction score
The BCA stuff looks pretty complete and appears to be quality stuff. I ,personally, would stay away from adding any more plates to the direct drum . The drum is fairly small and there is only so much real estate there. Thinner parts ( pressure plates ,clutches and friction plates) do not handle heat like thicker plates do. Use quality clutch plates and Kolene plated steels https://www.raybestospowertrain.com/performance-parts/kolene-steel-clutch-plates .
Also , keep a close eye on the O/D servo piston pin bore. They wear and cause a pressure loss in that circuit. Sonnax makes a sleeve kit to repair it but the fixture to bore the case is very expensive. Try to find a local trans shop who is willing to bore it for you and install the sleeve. I spent 21 years rebuilding transmissions for a shop which had the contract with the state police . I have probably built 1000 AOD-E and 4R70-W transmissions. I would recommend replacing all of the bushings as well.

Ron

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
How high should I have the car on stands to be able to remove the trans. I got the 6 ton stands.

Last edited:

beyondEOD

Reaction score
I built wood blocks 16" high so that the tires are resting on a stable platform. I use stands as backup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
How do you intend to drop the trans? I typically like to get the car as high as possible to give me ample room to work.

In my garage, Jack stands, and I have a low profile transmission jack I bought from HF which I used installing my gas tank. I have a creeper as well but that's optional if I want to use it. I liked to know how high it needs to be to clear the bell housing.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I don’t know the exact height that it need to be. But if I had to venture a guess, I’d say 15-18” would be about right to clear the trans by itself. Then if the jack is going to have the trans off the ground, you’ll have to factor that height. I’ve also been limited to stable height before and just lifter the car enough to work under, dropped the trans, then jacked the car up enough to slide the trans out.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yup, sorry I missed the question. ATSG is my go to for manuals. I’ve never been disappointed by them.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Is there supposed to be any play in the output shaft? After I pulled the DS yoke out of the tail housing I could pretty much jiggle it with 2 fingers. @lwarrior1016 maybe you can chime in.

Thanks

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
There will be some play back there. How much play is there? I’ll wiggle my shaft when I get home and tell you how much it moves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online