Rebuilding Auto Trans

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Do you really need to use a puller to remove the pump?
Yes and no. I thread a couple bolts in and use a seal puller tool on the head of the bolts. Look up Hiram Gutierrez (I think) on you tube. He has a very good tear down video on this trans. He shows step by step.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Yes and no. I thread a couple bolts in and use a seal puller tool on the head of the bolts. Look up Hiram Gutierrez (I think) on you tube. He has a very good tear down video on this trans. He shows step by step.

I've been watching the Transmission Bench videos, and he used a puller. I'll check this Gutierrez feller out.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Just made a few Amazon purchases, ordered some cheap stuff he was using tool wise. Should be here tomorrow. I want to tear into that tranny on Sunday, and see whats what.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Alright tore apart today
20200712_174659.jpg
This is what was in the pan

20200712_160502.jpg
The first frictions and steels
20200712_154903.jpg 20200712_154838.jpg
The direct drum steels and frictions had similar wear, but the forward drum steels and frictions looked a tad burnt there were definitely black marks on the whole circumference of the frictions surface. The OD band looked ok but there were cracks on the frictions material. The other band, whatever it's called looked fine.

I did notice this on the direct drum
20200712_173140.jpg 20200712_173126.jpg
See how the edge is all gnarly.

All the bearing and other surfaces looked fine. No broken splines on the planetaries, out put shaft, intermediate shaft and stub shaft.

I did have play on the output shaft, here is a clip

So what ya think @lwarrior1016 ?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Good job on tear down! The frictions don’t look terrible, but it’ll be good to replace them. That direct drum looks fine, from what I can tell. You may be seeing what it looks like after it’s stamped. Does the stock forward drum look like that?

That output shaft play looks a tad excessive. Pull that snap ring band slide that shaft out. Look at the splines on the shaft and the drum very carefully.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Good job on tear down! The frictions don’t look terrible, but it’ll be good to replace them. That direct drum looks fine, from what I can tell. You may be seeing what it looks like after it’s stamped. Does the stock forward drum look like that?

That output shaft play looks a tad excessive. Pull that snap ring band slide that shaft out. Look at the splines on the shaft and the drum very carefully.

Thank. No, the forward drum looks fine. I'm getting a billet one anyways. Alright I'll check the the input shaft when I get a chance. What do you think about the crap in the pan, just normal wear?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I guess it’s about normal for a worn out trans. How long has it been since you added that pan, how many miles?

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
I guess it’s about normal for a worn out trans. How long has it been since you added that pan, how many miles?

The trans has over 100k miles, but the pan wasn't on there that long. When I started getting the P0740 code and decided to replace the the 2 solenoids, I decided to install this pan while I was at it. Could be left over crud from when I added the new fluids and it just flushed what was in the system into the pan. I didn't see any gnarly damage on anything in the internals.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The trans has over 100k miles, but the pan wasn't on there that long. When I started getting the P0740 code and decided to replace the the 2 solenoids, I decided to install this pan while I was at it. Could be left over crud from when I added the new fluids and it just flushed what was in the system into the pan. I didn't see any gnarly damage on anything in the internals.
If all of the clutches look decent, I would be worried about the torque converter being bad. Especially since you had a tcc code, it may have damaged the lockup clutch. What converter do you have and are you planning to replace it?

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
If all of the clutches look decent, I would be worried about the torque converter being bad. Especially since you had a tcc code, it may have damaged the lockup clutch. What converter do you have and are you planning to replace it?

Ya know, that's been on my mind. The TC is a worked unit. It's a 2800 stall. It was on a 91 notch with a 427 mated to a 4R70W. It was Al's son whose car it was in. He didn't run the that converter all that long before he switched to a higher stall converter. I'm trying to find out where he took the converter to get worked. I would like to take it to them because they familiar with it. Who knows maybe it was worked for his setup but doesn't like my setup. I looked inside the converter shaft but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Funny, Al (the guy who did all the work on my car) said when he would do the rebuild, he would take that converter and get it freshened up. Maybe he had a feeling, and get it done if the trans was getting redone. Wish he was still in the game because I was a regular customer, and he gave me a great price for the rebuild but I never got to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
On a side note, these transmission aren't as scary as I thought they were. Only a few bolts here and a tug there and it's apart.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
These transmissions are super simple, and much easier than some others of comparable size. Don’t break in to a gm 4l60e thinking it’s this easy lol.

For the TC, you really wouldn’t be able to see anything in it without cutting it open. I would definitely have someone go through it, at the very least. If you do decide to get a new converter, might I recommend FTI Performance. They build fantastic torque converts. I’ve got one of their 2800’s in my town car.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
I need a transmission holding fixture for when I start putting it back together. Those things are expensive. I don't want to spend alot of money on something I'm only gonna use once. I don't have a engine stand either.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
You can build a box that is tall enough for the output shaft to not touch the floor and you stand the trans up on end. I’ve put a couple together like that.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking about that but couldn't find a build for it online. I guess a few 2x4s would work. Would it rest on the bellhousing outside lip, or the tail shaft housing mating surface?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online