Rebuilding Auto Trans

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Wish I could pop it open my self and replace that gear, but it's riveted, and I think you would need to weld it to get it back together. I seen some refurbished ones but it includes the planetary, the shell, ring gear and sun gear. @lwarrior1016, do you know a place I can get a refurbed unit?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Wish I could pop it open my self and replace that gear, but it's riveted, and I think you would need to weld it to get it back together. I seen some refurbished ones but it includes the planetary, the shell, ring gear and sun gear. @lwarrior1016, do you know a place I can get a refurbed unit?
I get all my parts from Transtar. There is probably a branch in your area that you can call and get it from.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
I get all my parts from Transtar. There is probably a branch in your area that you can call and get it from.

Thanks, they only sell the whole thing, Planetary Gear set, shell, sun gear, and ring gear. I found a place called WIT Transmissions and ordered a refurbed Planetary gear set by it self.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Hey @lwarrior1016, so I tried to install the teflon seals on the forward shaft but ended up damaging it, so I said screw it and installed the scarf cut ones. So are the scarf cut seals any worse than the solid teflon ones?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Nope. Just use the scarf cut. It is claimed that the Teflon seals are need for higher power builds, but they are a royal pain in the ass to get right. I actually cut one when I did the trans in my lincoln and burnt up a clutch in like 3 miles. It sucked.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
@lwarrior1016 for the life of me holding pressure is inconsisted when I apply air to the forward drum. Sometimes it holds and pther times it wont even activate. The reverse drum holds everytime.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Everything looks good, but I dont know what the deal is

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Can you show me where you’re pressure testing? How much psi are you putting to it? You might have cut or rolled a seal when you installed

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Can you show me where you’re pressure testing? How much psi are you putting to it? You might have cut or rolled a seal when you installed

20210530_154438.jpg

I used the blue teflon ring seals, and got them seated. I know your supposed to blow 45 psi, but I accidentally blew 100 plus thru it and they activated.. I lowered it to 45psi and the reverse drum clutches activated, so did the forward drum clutches, but they have been inconsistent (The reverse drum is fine). The teflon seal look fine. they dont seem to have damage.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Strange, when I put press down on the forward drum the clutches will activate with the compressed air. Is that normal?

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
I think it was those blue teflon seals, I removed those and installed the flat cut end seals and now the forward clutch activates consistantly when air pressure is applied. The Zip Kit did mention one set of rings is for later models and one set for earlier models. So i'm thinking the blue ones are for later models.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Holy Crap @lwarrior1016 look what I just found looking at the pic above...LMAO... I couldn't find it for the life of me. It must of popped out when I was messing with the planetaries, I replaced it with one from my old rear sprag. I took everything out to make sure it didn't fall down into the case. Phew at least I know where it is.

trans.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online