Rebuilding Auto Trans

d.garza18

Reaction score
Great write up! I’ve seen first hand over and over tranny rebuilds from my mentor, and it is very intimidating at first but definitely something Worth picking up! I haven’t rebuilt one myself or disassembled one completely but I have messed with them a tad bit. And I’m going to attempt to rebuild mine as well as do the j mod when I pull my motor

Connie

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I just noticed your post. I haven't heard of a Tranny Shop that does just Cleaning and Installing Bushings. They will most likely want to do the complete build. If you know the Owners, that may work, but normally not.

Connie

Reaction score
Great write up! I’ve seen first hand over and over tranny rebuilds from my mentor, and it is very intimidating at first but definitely something Worth picking up! I haven’t rebuilt one myself or disassembled one completely but I have messed with them a tad bit. And I’m going to attempt to rebuild mine as well as do the j mod when I pull my motor
Hi again. If you are PATIENT, and PAY attention to the SMALL details, you can succeed in Rebuilding the Tranny yourself. Another thing I forgot to mention is, when taking off the Valve Body Plate, pay attention to where the Rubber Check Balls are in the valleys. There are just a few, but must be returned to the same position from where they are removed. Use a Scribe and scratch an 'X' where you remove each Check Ball, so you don't get confused.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I just noticed your post. I haven't heard of a Tranny Shop that does just Cleaning and Installing Bushings. They will most likely want to do the complete build. If you know the Owners, that may work, but normally not.

I already spoke with them and they are willing to do it.

Connie

Reaction score
I already spoke with them and they are willing to do it.
That is FANTASTIC!! Must be an honest Shop. It was hard when I rebuilt Transmissions, to find one that was actually customer oriented. I would work at 'Franchises' until I found a small shop that was honest, and stayed there almost ten years. What may be good for you also is, if you run into a snag, they may even be helpful.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Ok, took my TC to Turbine Tech. They are the ones who built the TC (they even remembered working on it). Quick story on this TC, Turbine Tech built this TC (about 4-5 years ago) to spec per the customer Which was Valley Performance the same shop that did all the work on my Stang. It is a 2800 stall locked converter, and was ran in a race purpose built 90 Fox Notch with a 427 and around 500+ hp. The driver did not like it and went with a higher stall, and gave this one to me. So I was doing a few highway pulls to set my AF ratio, and the trans went into limp mode got the TCC, TC Solenoid codes. Replaced the solenoids, and still had the same issue. Me and Al Decided to do a rebuilt and freshen up the TC. I didn't have the funds back then to do it right away. I then lost touch with Al. He eventually closed up shop in that time and retired because for health reasons. So because of that and Rona restrictions I decided to do it myself and the reason for this thread. Anywhoo, now back to the TC... I get a call this morning from the TC shop, and guess what @lwarrior1016, when they opened it up they saw that the clutch had broken off or lose! Your hunch was correct about the TC being the issue. I'm pretty sure that 427 Notch beat the crap out of it with the several passes it made at the track. I told them I would like to keep the TC the way it was before it broke at 2800 stall, and locked. and all for the friendly price of a 100 bucks.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
@Boostr1 thats awesome news. I’m really glad they got you figured out and it didn’t cost much to do it. I’m also happy that you found a definitive problem instead of guessing and hoping it was fixed.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
@lwarrior1016 didnt you mention that ya can build a transmission stand or fixture out of some 2x4s. I want to start putting my trans back together so I want to build one. Is there any type of plans floating around for this.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
@lwarrior1016 didnt you mention that ya can build a transmission stand or fixture out of some 2x4s. I want to start putting my trans back together so I want to build one. Is there any type of plans floating around for this.
You mean a holding fixture for the trans case? I don’t have any plans for one but if you have a short table you can drill a hole in it for the output shaft to go through and the trans just sits on the table. I bought a holding fixture for a 4l60e and with some minor mods, it fits the 4r70w, and bolts to the workbench.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Maybe i'll just over build a small box frame out of the 2x4s and use 3/4 ply wood I have lying around cut a hole in it and that's that... Yep that's what Ima do... don't know why it took me this long to finger that out.

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
You mean a holding fixture for the trans case? I don’t have any plans for one but if you have a short table you can drill a hole in it for the output shaft to go through and the trans just sits on the table. I bought a holding fixture for a 4l60e and with some minor mods, it fits the 4r70w, and bolts to the workbench.

If I do the small table thing, do I have to bolt the trans to it?

OP
OP
Boostr1

Boostr1

Reaction score
Hey @lwarrior1016, you got a spare 4R70W Planetary Gear set laying around, thats in good shape with good bearings? Just noticed on mine one of the gears has a small nick on one of the splines...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online